Doug E.
Doug E., Kawasaki Master Technician
Experience:  Professional motorcycle mechanic since 1978. Vintage motorcycle restorer.
7400257

I own a 1993 polaris indy 500 efi just wonderin how much..chain..tight

Customer Question

i own a 1993 polaris indy 500 efi just wonderin how much should the bottom gear in the chain case be torqued to and how tight should my track b
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Doug E. replied 2 years ago.

Kawasaki Doug :

Hello

Kawasaki Doug :

Full Size Image

Kawasaki Doug :

That is the track information unless you have the XTRA suspension

Kawasaki Doug :

The upper sprocket nut torques to 50 ft lbs.

Kawasaki Doug :

I'm looking up the lower bolt specs now.

Kawasaki Doug :

Full Size Image

Kawasaki Doug :

I'm showing 19 ft lbs on the lower bolt.

Kawasaki Doug :

Let me know if you need more information. If not, please click on the accept button so I get credited for my answer. Thank you.

Customer:

just wonderin bout the tighteness of the track 1/2 inch play hanging down they mean

Customer:

and the upper sprocket is a big bolt with a cotter pin going through it that one is fifty u say and the bottom one is 19 is this correct

Kawasaki Doug :

The upper one should be a castle nut with a cotter key. It torques to 50 ft lbs.

Kawasaki Doug :

The track slack is measured with a force of 10 lbs on it. I grabbed the wrong diagram

Kawasaki Doug :

Full Size Image

Kawasaki Doug :

Double check the track alignment after setting the tension.

Customer:

k and the bottom sproket is 19 lbs

Kawasaki Doug :

Yes.

Customer:

how do u check track alignment

Kawasaki Doug :

Raise the rear of the sled in the air and run the motor. Rev it up so the track turns, then shut it off. Do not hit the brake. Measure from the edge of the track to the outer rear wheel on each side.

Kawasaki Doug :

If it isn't the same, tighten on or the other adjuster to align it. If the track is too far to the right, tighten the right adjuster. That will move the track to the left.

Customer:

ok and then adjust rear wheels as needed gotcha

Kawasaki Doug :

If it isn't the same tighten ONE or the other adjuster. Typo there!

Kawasaki Doug :

Once it's lined up, double check your track tension, then make sure all nuts and bolts are tight and you are done.

Customer:

ok i think thats all i need if i dont have a torque wrench how should i do it or should i go get one

Kawasaki Doug :

You can usually rent one for a few bucks from an auto parts store. I know Checker and Advanced rent them.

Kawasaki Doug :

They can be expensive to buy if you are only going to use it once.

Customer:

k thanks

Kawasaki Doug :

Happy riding!

Customer:

soon as we get some snow just geetin her ready thanks again

Doug E., Kawasaki Master Technician
Experience: Professional motorcycle mechanic since 1978. Vintage motorcycle restorer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

one more thing

how tight should the chain b in the chain case

Expert:  Doug E. replied 2 years ago.
If you don't have an automatic tensioner, here is the adjustment.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
u the man doug thanks a lot is there anything else i should look at since this is the first time changing my track
Expert:  Doug E. replied 2 years ago.
I'd double check all the nuts and bolts after the first ride. Otherwise you should be good. I use a drop of blue locktite on the sprocket bolts so they don't vibrate loose.

Doug
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
k thanks again u the man doug
Expert:  Doug E. replied 2 years ago.
Anytime
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
which way is the bottom gear in chain case suppose to go on a 1993 polaris indy 500 efi snowmobile spacer side in or out
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hey doug me again which way is the bottom gear suppose to face its got like a spacer on it is that suppose to face in or out

Expert:  Doug E. replied 2 years ago.
The bump goes to the inside. There are spacers that are used to align the sprockets if needed.

Use a straight edge to check the alignment.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok thanks again
Expert:  Doug E. replied 2 years ago.
Sure thing
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

one more thing is the jack shaft. the shaft the bottom gear is sitting on, how far is that suppose to b sticking out past the bottom gear or is it suppose to b flush with the bottom gear

Expert:  Doug E. replied 2 years ago.
The shafts should not extend past the sprockets or you can't tighten them.

Doug
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
k cause mine is bout 1/16 in. in still
Expert:  Doug E. replied 2 years ago.
1/16 below the outside of the sprocket edge? If so, that would be ok.

Doug
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yup cool thanks
Expert:  Doug E. replied 2 years ago.
Anytime
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what up doug its the guy with the 1993 indy 500 efi again just wonderin if u know what the rpm's are suppose to be at when u r idleing and if u know how to set the idle thanks
Expert:  Doug E. replied 2 years ago.

Idle speed should be 1900 RPM. The idle is adjusted by turning the idle stop screw with a screwdriver in or out until you are at the correct RPM. Be sure to adjust it when the motor is warmed up.

Doug

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok doug i will try it out tomorrow if i got any more questions i will give u a buzz thanks again

Expert:  Doug E. replied 2 years ago.
Snow's on the way so you better get wrenching!!!

Doug