Christopher
Christopher, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  20 yrs. experience as motorcycle, dirt bike, ATV, UTV and watercraft technician.

2003 honda: rubicon..d1 d2..ecm Unit it was a used unit..angle sensor

I have a 2003 honda rubicon trx500fa
gear position flashes - - D1 D2 ESP
when I go to put it into gear it just flashes the L D N R won't light up but it will go into gear
I have replaced the ECM Unit it was a used unit. I also replaced the angle sensor new.
thanks for your time Dwayne
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Christopher replied 2 years ago.

christopher :

Hello how are you

T o reset the ECM on this you will do the following procedure.

key off

hold down up/down shift keys. turn the key on, then quickly release them, and repress and hold them at the same time till the gear indicator begins to flash. then you can release them,

at this point if there are a series of short flashes, or anything to that affect then you simply rehold down the shift keys until there is a long flash of --, followed by a long pause.

then the ecu is reset. but if when the gear indicator starts to flash and it does this anyway, then there is no need, or there will be no affect on reseting this.

if you continue to hold down the shift keys and you it will not go to the one long -- flash and long pause, and continues to show short flashes. then there is a real time fault and will continue to do this until it is fixed.

Customer:

Already did this. It did not work. I have the Clymer trouble shooting book. could it be the electric shift switch?

christopher :

What codes are you getting? Remove the shift motor and see if the gear it connects to moves freely. If not take a screwdriver and pry on it. The gear should free up, go through the ecu reset procedure again.

Customer:

will not come out of the constant flash. flashes a lll codes - - d1 d2 esp

christopher :

flashes all codes?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

going to try to take off shift motor

christopher :

If it is flashing every code the ecm is likely faulty.

christopher :

I believe their are about 20 codes

Customer:

do you know where i could order an EMC? I did get a used one on ebay.

christopher :

Yes give me a moment and i will get you the info

christopher :

Sorry for the delay. Here is a link to a site where you can purchase a replacement. I use them often.

christopher :

If you have more problems or questions let me know and we will get it figured out. Please remember to click on the accept button at the end of this chat, it is the only way i am compensated for my time...Thanks

Customer:

the shift control motor i unplugged the 2 wire plug and hooked up a 12volt battery like the book says to do and the motor will not turn.

christopher :

If you are not able to spin the gear at the end of the shift motor it is bad. When the angle sensor goes bad it tells the shift motor to run to its limit and usually it burns out.

christopher :

That is definetly part of your problem. When you reset the ecm you should here the shift motor run. The ecm will go right back into a fault mode if not

Christopher, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience: 20 yrs. experience as motorcycle, dirt bike, ATV, UTV and watercraft technician.