Terry
Terry, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Over 20 years experiance multi-line tech specializing in H-D. troubleshooting and advanced fuel injection
9367777

clean clutch plates on a 1958 pan head harley davidson..motor oil

what is the best way to clean clutch plates on a 1958 pan head harley davidson. these clutch plates are saturated with motor oil caused by the engine setting and sumping?

thanks

bill dowd XXX@XXXXXX.XXX

Terry : Hello,Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with your question.
You will need to remove the plates from the clutch hub, a quality brake cleaner like gunk will remove the oil leaving no residue. The problem is the oil that has soaked into the fiber plates and will resurface when the plates heat up. You could warm them up in an oven, use a heat gun, even a propane torch. You don't need a lot of heat, ant to much will warp the plates.