Christopher
Christopher, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  20 yrs. experience as motorcycle, dirt bike, ATV, UTV and watercraft technician.
5111025

Kawaski Mule 610 wont start. Batery is good, 13v, the lights

Kawaski Mule 610 won't start. Batery is good, 13v, the lights light. Turn the key, the relay clicks, and nothing. No grind, no engine trying to turn over, nothing. Any help?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Christopher replied 3 years ago.

christopher :

Hello how are you

christopher :

You likely have a bad starter solenoid, neutral switch, or wiring.

christopher :

Does the neutral light come on

Customer:

I am not awate of a light. I have tried to start it both in neutral and in gear with stepping on the brake. it should start either way.

christopher :

Do you own or have access to a multi meter

Customer:

Yes

christopher :

Ok great. You will need to locate the starter solenoid. Follow the + battery cable directly to it. On side of the solenoid should be hot all of the time and the other side should get voltage when the key is turned to the start position

Customer:

Okay. I'll go outside and check that. Give me some time.

christopher :

We will be working our way back through the system. You will also find a couple smaller wires. One of these should get voltage when the key is turned to start check both and let me know your findings

Customer:

My multimeter decided to die at this time. However, I do have a 12v test light.

christopher :

That will work

Customer:

The light lights on the solenoid wher the battery cable connects. There is nothing on the other side. Turn the key, still nothing.

christopher :

Check the smaller wire, might be 2 so check both. This is the wire that activates the solenoid. If it lights the tester and does not spin the starter you have a bad solenoid

Customer:

I will go and check the smaller wires.

christopher :

ok

Customer:

There is one small red wire leading to the solenoid. I pierced the wire with the test probe. It lights when the key is turned.

christopher :

That tells us the system is functioning properly and the solenoid is bad. Do you have a kawi dealer near by?

Customer:

No. I'm out in the country. There's one about 35-miles away in Austin.

christopher :

You can just replace it with a standard solinoid. Does not have to be oem kawi. You might have to mount it a little differnet. That should save you some money too

christopher :

Different

Customer:

Do you think I could get a suitable substitute at Auto Zone or O'Reilys? Those are about 10-miles away?

christopher :

You sure can, just bring the old one with you to try to find one with a similar mount for ease of installation. Should be no problem replacing that part.

Customer:

Thanks. I am satisfied with your help. I am willing to pay you now. Is there a way to get in touch with you if for some reason a new solenoid does not fix the problem?

christopher :

Just come back to this chat and post any more questions you may have. From your testing i am confident you have figured it out

christopher :

If you have any further questions or problems let me know. Please remember to click on the accept button at the end of this chat, it is the only way i am compensated for my time....Thanks

Christopher, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience: 20 yrs. experience as motorcycle, dirt bike, ATV, UTV and watercraft technician.