Richard, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Senior Mechanic & Technician
41497032

2007 polaris atv sportsman 500 ho. will not start, no starter

2007 polaris atv sportsman 500 ho. will not start, no starter engagement, no fuel pressure, have replaced stator{due to losing a charge} starter soleniod, ignition switch, can jump soleniod and crank engine, also no voltage going to ignition coil. need to know if there is a kill switch and where it is located at.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

RACE TECH :

How are you ?

RACE TECH :

Your ATV has a fusible link. These are generally located right off of the solenoid red wire. Will have a bulge in it, test both ends ot the wire for continuity. If the fuse is good, then more than likely your ECM is blown.

RACE TECH :

I hope you have found my answer helpful. If I have helped you,please click accept. Clicking accept is the only way I am paid. Thanks & Goodluck RaceTech :)

You may be wondering how to reach me in the future, if you have another question. You can achieve this by requesting me to answer your question or in your new question, put FOR RACETECH.
Even though you click accept now, you can still follow up on your question at no additional charge. Thanks again.

RACE TECH :

Or could be the black wire. Check this image out of he fusible link.

Customer:

im doing fine, i have received your answer. the fusiable links are good .

RACE TECH :

OK, so you have tested it ?

RACE TECH :

I would try a knwon good ECM, these are known for going bad. Polaris treid to seal everything inside there and at one point it created a fire hazard.

Customer:

is that the ground wire ?

RACE TECH :

That fusible link that be the positive wire.

RACE TECH :

The fuses arent known for blowing really

RACE TECH :

Its teh ECM that is known for going bad.

RACE TECH :

*the

RACE TECH :

ECM is the computer mounted under teh front cab

RACE TECH :

*the

Customer:

that is correct it was the positive wires i put a volt meter to check them, i have no voltage at the coil, i have voltage on both sides of starter soleniod, but no ground to let the starter to work when i use the key. does this have a kill switch or is the computer what controls the grounds for the swithes?

RACE TECH :

The computer controls it

RACE TECH :

I have no cue why polaris went with that design.

RACE TECH :

Seems they found everyone finding the circuit breakers and fuses and decided to hide them inside the unti

Customer:

i have the computer here with me at the desk, im in of someway to verify the computer before spending the 400.00 on this unit.

Customer:

but from what you experinced in the past and from what i read and seen on wiring diagram it seems your right about the computer.

RACE TECH :

Reading

RACE TECH :

Yea there junk.

RACE TECH :

No way to test it

Customer:

thankyou for time i will price a ecm tomorrow and with a little luck we will be back in action.

Richard, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience: Senior Mechanic & Technician