....
...., ....
Experience:  ............

My motor has developed a loud ticking noise in top end of engine,

Customer Question

My motor has developed a loud ticking noise in top end of engine, It bogs down on exelleration in second gear like it is running out of fuel, do you think it sounds like the timing chain. I am pulling the motor out just wondering what I should be looking for when I have it out.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  .... replied 2 years ago.

Brian :

Good day and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X'X be happy to help you with your problem today. You need a valve adjustment

Brian :

the motor does not need to come out for that

Brian :

you just need to check your clearances & get the shims you need

Customer:

with the shims do I have to use a feeler gauge to work out what size shim I need or is there next size up to replace all.

Brian :

no, you need to going with the feeler gauges & measure the clearances that you have, note them & then note the shims sizes that are in, you then use than info to determine what shims you need.

Brian :

The factory service manual has a shim chart in it & you can likely find that on a ZZR rider forum

Brian :

I just don;t have one here

Customer:

Thanks Braian will go with that and get back to you. cheers.

...., ....
Experience: ............
Expert:  .... replied 2 years ago.
you just need to check clearances, loosen the lock nut, adjust to the correct clearance & lock it down

be sure to tighten all those lock nuts & check them several times. You do not want one coming loose I learned the hard way.