Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004

Speedo..speedometer..The wiring harness on my bike bolts on to 3 studs

Hi Steve, You said that i had tyhe wrong speedo so I checked on the speedometer that you said that I needed (67025-96) and what I found was that it has a different connection on the back. The wiring harness on my bike bolts on to 3 studs on the back of 67025-95 which is correct and the 67025-96 requires a plug in connection. I have since found out that there are actually 4 different speedos, 67025-95, 67025-95 A, B, and C. Now I need to find out if I am able to recalibrate my 67025-95. Comment
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Steve replied 5 years ago.

Welcome. Thank you for choosing Just Answer.

IF what you say about the fitment is do not have a 1996 Dyna.

if you give me you VIN, I can verify the model and year.

without that information, I go by the HD parts catalog, which says a '96 dyna gets a -96 speedo.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

My VIN number is: 1HD1GHL30TY305443 and I'm the original owner.

Expert:  Steve replied 5 years ago.

you have a 1996 FXD.

the speedometer for your bike is 67025-96, per the Harley Davidson factory parts catalog (p/n 99450-96)

I cannot explain why the connection is not compatible, only that the correct part number is XXXXX above AND that the speedometer senses off 4th gear, mainshaft, which was changed in 1996 and explains why your -95 speedo reads off.

I stand by my previous answer.

if it is your desire to calibrate the speedo, you will have no choice but to purchase an add-on calibrator. Dakota Digital sells one

other than an add-on calibrator, your speedo has no calibration capability. they are calibrated at the factory for specific applications and sold by HARLEY calibrated as-is.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks again for your help. Ed