Richard, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Senior Mechanic & Technician
41497032

250 suzuki: carb looks good..die..better it trys to start

Customer Question

i have a 2004 rmz 250 suzuki i have good compresion good spark and the carb looks good when i kick it over it will start for i revolution then die and the slower i kick it the better it trys to start.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

RACE TECH :

How are you ?

Customer :

good how are you doing

RACE TECH :

Replace teh sparkplug first, casue you didnt mention it and service the airfilter and make sure the igntion coil cap and wire is good. Has the bike sat for a period of time without being ridden. Lets say 3 or more weeks ? If so your carburetor is gummed up and needs serviced, as well clean the entire fuel system. Fuel tank and flush all lines.

RACE TECH :

I hope you have found my answer helpful. If I have helped you,please click accept. Clicking accept if the only way I am paid. Thanks & Goodluck RaceTech :)

You may be wondering how to reach me in the future, if you may have another question. You can achieve this by requesting me to answer your question or in your question, put FOR RACETECH.

Customer :

i have done all of that it is not that obvious unfortunatly

RACE TECH :

If you pour a little fuel into the sparkplug hole, reinstall the sparkplug and try and start it, will it start up ?

Customer :

can the cdi box still let spark go through but have the timing off to the point to where it will start for one revolution and thats it

RACE TECH :

Please answer my question.

Customer :

i tried eather and it does the same thing blurps on the first rev and thats it

RACE TECH :

So it does start up right with either buts not without eather ? Please answer my questions.

Customer :

are you still there

Customer :

no it does the same with either as it does without

RACE TECH :

OK,

RACE TECH :

Thank you.

RACE TECH :

do you have a knowm good sparkplug ?

RACE TECH :

Let me look over somethign here

Customer :

yes

RACE TECH :

OK standby ......

Customer :

ok

RACE TECH :

did you remove the sparkplug cap counter clockwise fromthe igntion coil wire and trim teh wire back 1/4 inch or so and then reinstall the cap ?

Customer :

it has good spark solid blue and strong

RACE TECH :

Did you check your compression and valve clearence ?

Customer :

yes compression is strong valves have corect clerance

RACE TECH :

So what are your compression readings ?

RACE TECH :

What are your valve specs ? What did you set them at /

Customer :

150 psi with dcompression disabled

RACE TECH :

Did you remove the fuel ine from the carburetor and turn the petcock to both off and reserve to make sure you have good fuel flow ?

Customer :

yes

RACE TECH :

Last test here and see where we get with it. pour a tablespoon of fuel in the sparkplug hole and now try and start it. Does it start and run for a few seconds or how long ?

RACE TECH :

Did you remove the jet from the carburetor to check it ?

RACE TECH :

Which jet was removed from the carburetor ?

RACE TECH :

Did you completely disassemble the carbruetor, soak it for 1 hour or more and spray each passage with carb cleaner and check each jet and then verify each passage including jets with compressed air ?

Customer :

i sprayed either in the spark plug hole put the plug back in it did the same thing. i totaly went through the carb it looks good i dont remeber what main jet is in it but its not a jetting issue

RACE TECH :

Stop there please. How many jets were removed from the carb ?

Customer :

yes i totaly went through the carb.3 jets

RACE TECH :

Hold on

RACE TECH :

Only thing left is your tps sensor.

RACE TECH :

My best guess is you messed with the sensor when you cleaned the carbruetor.

Customer :

will that keep it from running?

RACE TECH :

Sure will.

Customer :

this problem was here before i cleaned the carb

RACE TECH :

OK, lets get on that subject there

Customer :

k

RACE TECH :

Did it sit for a period of time without being ridden and this is when it happen or were you riding it and it all of a sudden quit ?

Customer :

im not shure its not my bike

Customer :

how about the cdi box?

RACE TECH :

Is it a customers bike or friends bike ? Which one ?

Customer :

customer

RACE TECH :

Did you not ask any of this information ? You need to adjust that sensor to per manul specs.

RACE TECH :

I recommend yo also have a sheet ( questioaire ) for each customer that drops off.

Customer :

yes i do ask questions.this is a rare case for me to be stumped.

RACE TECH :

Your not stumped. adjust the sensor

Customer :

k i will try that.if not that then what?

Customer :

arent they non adjustable?

RACE TECH :

should be adjustable. Look in your service manual for the specs to test it and adjust it

Customer :

ok

RACE TECH :

Thank man.

RACE TECH :

Please click accept if you have been helped.

Customer :

thankyou

RACE TECH :

Surething man.

RACE TECH :