Andre Pilon
Andre Pilon, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Over 25 years experience, ICS, MMI, Owned shop for 12 years, worked tech-support for Harley Davidson
34145715

Harley Davidson..The engine light comes on after I have started it

Customer Question

I have a 2009 Harley Davidson Fat Bob. The engine light comes on after I have started it. This has not happed before.
I bought the bike used, and dont have the owners manual.
Help!
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Andre Pilon replied 3 years ago.
Hi, Welcome to JA. You need to check the DTC's(trouble codes) through the speedo. Here's how:
With the on/off button in the run position, press and hold the trip(odometer) button in and turn the ignition switch on, hold the button for about 5sec. and release. You'll see 'psspt' appear in the speedo(powertrain, security, speedo, tach.) toggle with the trip button until the 'p' flashes then push and hold the trip button down, it will give you a code on say 'none', release the trip button, Write the code down if any. Press the button again, it will give you another code if any or give you a part number (Pn) for the module you just checked, don't worry about that(the Pn). Toggle with the trip to the next module, security(S), repeat the same procedure to find the codes, when the 'S' flashes on the screen press and hold the trip button until it displays a code or say none, release the button. Go through all modules(psspt) and note any codes down.
Let me know what you find? Thanks.
Going to the gym, about 1 to 11/2 hrs, i'll check with you as soon as i get back, thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for getting back to me, here are the codes I got:

P - P0108, P0132, P0152

S - none

SP - none

t - no r SP

b - no r SP

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Waiting for your reply soulcycles...
Perfect, good job. Still at the gym, be home in a little while, I can tell you what all the codes mean and we'll hunt the problem down. Clear all the codes(when you see the code in the speedo, press and hold the trip button until it says 'clear' then press the trip button again). This will clear the codes. Go through the process again to make sure all the codes have been cleared. Turn the ignition off then back on, start the bike or crank for at least 5sec., then check for codes again. This will tell us if the codes are current or historic? Let me know what you get? Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Cleared all codes, and double checked.

Started bike and let idle for about a minute.

These are the codes I have now:

P - P0108

S - none

SP - none

t - no r SP

b - no r SP

Will wait for your reply.

Thanks - Mike

HI Mike, back home, lets attack that problem! P0108 indicates Map(manifold absolute pressure) sensor high. Do you have a Mighty Vac? a multi-meter? Let me look up the diog. notes and flow chart for you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have neither of those.

I should tell the bike came with a high flow air cleaner, kureoken maybe? And Vance and Hines Short Shot pipes. Does that help any?

Hi Mike, Unfortunately we can't do much if you don't have at least a multi-meter? we could probably try and diog. without the might vac, but you definitely need a multi-meter. Here is the diog notes, it will give you an idea where i'm going with this.
graphic
and here is the flow chart to find the problem:
graphic

graphic

There are ways around to using the breakout box but to go any further, we need a multi-meter. Is it possible for you to get one or borrow one? Thanks, Andre(soulcycles).
Andre Pilon, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience: Over 25 years experience, ICS, MMI, Owned shop for 12 years, worked tech-support for Harley Davidson
Hi Mike, you accepted the answer plus a bonus and positive feedback, thanks a million. Are you going to try and find a multi-meter so we can hunt this problem down? If you are, try and borrow a Mighty Vac at the same time.