....
...., ....
Experience:  ............

Suzuki SV650 (2000) Carburetor; will not start , turns over

Suzuki SV650 (2000) Carburetor; will not start , turns over with axillary jump start battery but never fires up. also was able to get the bike running by clutch starting but will not turn back on using the start button. Checked the fuses; all good.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  .... replied 3 years ago.

Brian :

Good day and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X'X be happy to help you with your problem today. Do you have a multi meter?...

Customer:

Somewhere

Brian :

was the fuel left in there all winter?

Customer:

I could go find it I think

Brian :

we will need it

Customer:

yes

Customer:

I spaced draining it

Customer:

Had planned to ride

Brian :

ok, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX least need a carb service. Your little pilot jets can't take that. And my guess is a new battery, but that is why we need the meter, to load test it & make sure..

Customer:

Sorry for the delay; tried to find the meter. I have a battery charger device hooked up that I think will measure the Voltage though it measures what is coming from the charger too

Brian :

we'll need to check it without a charger connected.

Customer:

I tried watching the voltage while starting the bike and it dipped back and forthe

Customer:

Okay I will see if I can find the meter brb

Brian :

that is what we need the meter to check more accurately. If the voltage ever dropped below 10 with the start button depressed the battery is junk.

Customer:

The battery is dead by itself. The bike will not turn over without the battery charger hooked up.

Brian :

then it is junk.

Brian :

you need a battery & a carb service. I'd also get a new set of plugs.

Customer:

I had the battery checked out last year and it seemed to hold a charge when the bike was clutch started. The bike would even turn over after riding for a while; seemed like it was charging

Brian :

it is junk now.

Customer:

Why wont the bike start with the charger hooked up? it is turning over.

Brian :

because the battery is junk & likely has one or more dead cells or an internal short, or the charger has welded several of the plates together.

Brian :

the plugs are likely fouled & you need a carb service.

Brian :

but I've said all this already

Brian :

I'm not sure what I'm not conveying properly.

Customer:

Dude chill; just asking since that did not make sense to me.

Customer:

I will try another battery

Customer:

etc.

Brian :

I am "chill" whatever that is. I just want to make sure that you are understanding what I'm saying is all.

Brian :

you need a carb service. you can not leave fuel in them for more than a month without issues.

Customer:

Can I try starting with the battery out of the bike just using charger?

Brian :

Your battery fails a load test when the charger says it is charged & it will not then turn over the starter

Customer:

I know you are right about the carb cleaning

Brian :

You can try it but you will fry your cdi box and then need one of those.

Brian :

The carbs are reason for the no start. The battery is just junk.

Customer:

okay; good to know

Brian :

2 separate issues.

Customer:

Can I do the carbs myself or should I take the bike in?

Brian :

I, unfortunately can not asses your abilities, you will need to do that. If you know & understand late model motorcycle carbs, go ahead, if you've never done any carb work I'd fine someone who knows them well, most dealers don't.

Customer:

Okay thanks Brian good night

Brian :

if you need any more info, I'm here frequently, just reply back. If you tear into the carbs & need help, let me know.... thanks for stopping by.

Customer:

No problem

...., ....
Experience: ............