Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

Lost power..20 mph. it will start and run fine at low rpm..spark plug

my 2ooo yamaha kodiak sudenly started missing and lost power as i was going about 20 mph. it will start and run fine at low rpm's but when i increase throtle and rpm's it bogs down. i replaced the spark plug but no change.. Coil maybe?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Jeff Policky replied 5 years ago.

how does it run when the choke is applied?

Ignition coils rarely fail in the powersports industry.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
choke seems to be fine, bike runs normal until you try to accelerate. earlier while riding i had a jumper wire on selenoid to allow factory winch to work and rode away without removing jumper. someone riding behind caught up to me and said sparks were coming from jumper wire that was hanging from battery side of selenoid. removed jumper and everything seemed fine. a couple hours later on a road trip the missing started.
does the unit run better with the choke on?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The choke seems to work fine, however, I can get higer rpm's with full choke but it still bogs down if you give full throtle and when I take the choke off and rev up it bogs down after reaching about 1200 rpms estimated. Its like the low end is perfect but shuts down if you rev up.

with higher RPM with the choke on it sound like a lean air fuel mixture. debris could have plugged a passage or jet in the carb. or the motor is getting tired and needs more fuel to get the higher RPMs. a cylinder leak down test will tell the health and condition of the combustion chamber.