Doug E.
Doug E., Kawasaki Master Technician
Experience:  Professional motorcycle mechanic since 1978. Vintage motorcycle restorer.
7400257

I have a scooter with a gy6 motor that will not start

Customer Question

I have a scooter with a gy6 motor that will not start. It doesn't seem to get any gas. It does turn over. I just replaced the CDI. I have tried adjusting the valves and replaced the CDI.  When the plug is against the case there is no spark
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Doug E. replied 3 years ago.

Kawasaki Doug :

Hello

Kawasaki Doug :

One of your questions says you have a spark problem and one says you have a starter problem. What exactly is the problem you are having? When you ground the spark plug to the head and crank over, do you have any spark at the plug?

Customer:

I just adjusted the valves. It now is getting some gas and the spark plug is sparking. It still doesn't start. It is difficult to get it to turn over. Starter does not sound good. Batter is at 12 volts

Customer:

battery is at 12 volts sry

Customer:

Seems to be running lean

Customer:

I have adjusted idle

Customer:

I didn't adjust the valves right the first time. Could you tell me what the black cylinder thing that two hoses connect to on scooter is

Customer:

?

Kawasaki Doug :

There are a couple of different fuel set-ups used on the GY6 engines. Most use an electronic choke and a vacuum operated petcock. The hoses you see are probably to the petcock.

Kawasaki Doug :

Do you have a kickstarter or just the electric starter? If just the electric starter, make sure the battery is fully charged. How does your spark plug look? Is it dry or wet?

Customer:

It is electric choke and a vacuum operated petcock. No the petcock is on the other end of bike. This is in front right side

Customer:

Spark plug is new. Should I pull it out and check it. I have tried to start it quite a few times

Customer:

I did not set the gap cause I didn't know what it was

Customer:

It appeared the same as old one

Kawasaki Doug :

Yes. If it is dry then it's not getting any gas. If it's wet, then it's either getting too much gas or has another problem.

Customer:

I will check

Kawasaki Doug :

The gap won't make it start or not start.

Customer:

it is dry

Customer:

A little bit of gas is getting through. Could this be related to automatic choke

Customer:

?

Customer:

I checked a line and there was a little bit of gas in it

Customer:

very little where none before

Customer:

Could the fuel filter be clogged. I could not blow air through it

Customer:

The bike is a 2008 that sat for 2 years than drove 100 miles before this problem

Customer:

There is compression through exaust

Customer:

exaust

Kawasaki Doug :

The electronic choke can cause problems. If it isn't working, the motor will not start. I will post the test information for you. You should be able to blow throw the filter if it is off. You might want to try putting a little gas down the spark plug hole to see if it will fire.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

Thank you

Kawasaki Doug :

Full Size Image

Kawasaki Doug :

There is the choke test. Remove the electronic choke. Hook it to a battery. It should be all the way up when cold and when hooked to a battery will drop down in about 5 minutes. Up is full choke, down is off.

Kawasaki Doug :

Do you have a digital camera? If so, is it possible for you to post a picture of the black canister?

Kawasaki Doug :

If it is not getting fuel or if the choke is not working, it will fire if you put gas down the spark plug hole. (Use just a little).

Kawasaki Doug :

If it still doesn't fire, then there is something else wrong.

Customer:

it doesnt fire with the gas

photo
Full Size Image

Customer:

Can you tell me what that is

Customer:

?

Kawasaki Doug :

Are those wires going into the bottom part or is that a hose too?

Customer:

It has a large hose that runs to other part of petcock. I believe vaccuum end

Customer:

it has a tube that runs to the split hoses that come from carbs. And, it has a hose that runs to petcock

Customer:

Let me correct that. I belive large hose runs to air filter

Kawasaki Doug :

It has something to do with fuel control. Give me a few minutes to look it up.

Customer:

One runs down left side

Customer:

ok

Customer:

Seems like problem is with fuel conrol

Customer:

I could probably figure it out if I knew what it was called

Kawasaki Doug :

Were the valve off when you checked them? Do you have a way to do a compression test? If nothing else could you try pushing your thumb over the spark plug hole and cranking the motor. It should blow your thumb off.

Customer:

No thats ok

Customer:

The valves are ok

Customer:

There is compression in exaust at other end

Customer:

You mean blow thumb off or are you saying it will be very dangerous

Customer:

?

Customer:

The valves were off

Kawasaki Doug :

Should push your thumb off if it has enough engine compression.

Customer:

They were about .10 instead of .4

Customer:

sorry they were about 1

Customer:

instead of .4

Kawasaki Doug :

Sorry, didn't mean blow your thumb off! LOL. Poor choice of words on my part.

Customer:

So take the plug out and try to turn it. Put thumb over hole

Customer:

?

Customer:

Could I have hooked up this fuel pump wrong? I took the wires out and tried to put them back

Customer:

sry not wires, I meant hoses

Kawasaki Doug :

Remove the fuel hose at the carb and crank the motor. Gas should come out the hose. If not, it's hooked up wrong or not working.

Kawasaki Doug :

I'm still looking for the specs on that fuel control valve. I can only find the ones with two hoses. It may take me a bit.

Customer:

Ok. I will have to go for about 20 minutes to get a part.

Customer:

I have an undersized battery and it seems dead. I am going to replace it.

Customer:

I will accept your answer. If you find what the part is I will be back in 20-25 minutes

Doug E., Kawasaki Master Technician
Experience: Professional motorcycle mechanic since 1978. Vintage motorcycle restorer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I just can't seem to find out what is going on. I have a black cylinder that goes has letters from a through h on it. I don't think it is hooked up right. I think everything is working the way it should. Compressions seems ok. Plug sparks. battery is good. Fuel trickles.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I pulled the hose from the intake of the carb and tried to start it. I didn't get any gas.
Expert:  Doug E. replied 3 years ago.
I think it's called a canister valve. I'm trying to find someone who has one for sale so I can confirm that. Do you have a charcoal canister somewhere on the bike? I think it's the control valve for the pollution system. It may be a model built for use in all 50 states in which case it would have to use a canister system to stop any fuel venting.

I'll post it when I pin it down.

Doug
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Doug E. replied 3 years ago.
Is this it?

graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have take the hoses off of it to see if it would start. I think the only think that hasn't been ruled out is the fuel pump or petcock. Do you agree?
Expert:  Doug E. replied 3 years ago.
If you aren't getting any fuel coming out of the fuel pump, check your petcock. The pump is driven by vacuum from the engine so if compression is low then it won't operate.

If you have a small fuel can or tank, you can attach a hose and fill the carb on your scooter that way. Then it should start and run half a minute or so until it runs out of gas.

Doug