Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004
11090168

I have a 2007 Ultra Classic, the cruise control does not turn

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Ultra Classic, the cruise control does not turn on with the handlebar SET switch.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

Welcome. Thank you for choosing Just Answer.

is power indicated on the fairing cap switch?

is your brake light on?

does your brake light work?

have to changed or adjusted the throttle cables?

tell me everything you can since before you noticed the problem.

Steve

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, the cruise control fairing switch indicates power, and functions normally.

The brake light was working before I headed out on the road, I didn't check it when I got back. I'm at work so I can't check it now, can we continue this chat tomorrow?

I have not done anything to the throttle adjustment or cables.

I was having some wierd electrical problems right before this, the security system indicator was blinking intermittantly, the neutral shift indicator stayed on even though I was in gear, and the engine did not turn over one time until I kicked it in and out of gear. I think some of these were related to the loose ground wire on the battery. None of these other problems have returned, except for the malfunctioning cruise control.

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

we can continue when you have more information.

aside from a module malfunction, look for things that turn the cruise off.

the cruise will not engage if:

throttle roll-off switch closed (throttle/idle cable binding)

tach inop

speedo inop

brake light on

brake light inop

let me know what you find.

Steve

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK, I'll check those things tonight and get back to you tomorrow AM.

Thanks,

Todd

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

thanks Todd.

I'll be here.

Steve

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning Steve,

The brake lights are working with the front lever, and rear pedal. I guess that leaves the throttle roll off switch, module, or SET switch. How does the roll off switch work? Should I hear a click when the throttle is twisted? Is there a connector inside the fairing where I can put a meter and check the switches for continuity? Is the module inside the faairing?

Todd

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

Hi Todd,

the roll-off switch is on the frame, between the tank and fairing on the right side.

it is the fat lump in the idle cable with 2 wires attached with spade connectors.

you can test it by pulling the wires off.

the switch makes continuity when you roll-off.

it is normally an open circuit.

you will hear nothing.

there are wires you can check in the cruise module connector but I don't have my wiring diagram with me. I can forward that later.

if you decide to test it, you need to be aware the roll-off feature will not work and you will only be able to disengage the cruise by braking or pulling the clutch.

Steve

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is there also a switch on the clutch lever tied in to the cruise control? Please forward the schematic for the module connector when you can.
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

there is no switch on the clutch lever.

the cruise will disengage when you pull the clutch lever due to movement of the tach reading.

Steve

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Got it.

Thanks,

Todd

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

let me know what happens when you disconnect the roll-off switch.

Steve

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'll try it out tonight.

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

let me know what you find.

no need to respond until you have more information.

Steve

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I couldn't find the roll off switch. There's 2 large wiring harnesses on the right side of the frame in front. Is it inside the plastic covering, or attached to the frame?

Todd

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

Todd,

the roll-off switch is not inside a harness.

it is part of your IDLE cable.

you have 2 cables for throttle control....the THROTTLE cable, which pulls the throttle open.....and the IDLE cable which pulls the throttle shut.

when you identify your throttle/idle cable, you will be able to find the roll-off switch. it's nothing more than a fat spot in the idle cable with 2 wires attached.

Steve

Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience: 30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK,

I'll check it out and get back to you on Monday.

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

let me know what you find.

Steve

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I disconnected the throttle roll off switch, still unable to set the cruise.

Thanks,

Todd

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

Todd,

disconnect the cruise module electrical connector.

check the continuity between the VIOLET/YELLOW and ORANGE/VIOLET wires in the connector with an ohm meter.

let me know what you find.

Steve

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Where is that located on the bike?
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

on the left side, under the side cover.

while you are at it, you might as well verify the set switch.

measure continuity on the W/be and BE/bk wires (pins 11 and 12) of the right hand control connector, under the fairing. you should see continuity when you operate the SET switch.....it should read no continuity when in the neutral position.

Steve

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I put a meter across the 2 wires going into the cruise module with the connector off.

It showed continuity, .9 ohms. I did not yet open up the fairing to check the SET switch.

Todd

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

did you measure 0.9 ohm on the connector side with the roll off wires connected to the switch?

Steve

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, with the roll off switch connected and the module connector dis-connected, I took the reading from the 2 pins on the module harness connector.
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

your problem is a failure of the cruise to engage because the roll-off input prohibits it.

disconnect the wires at the roll-off switch and take the measurement again.

if the resistance is still 0.9 ohm, your problem is in the actual harness wiring.

if the resistance reads open circuit, your problem is the roll-off switch.

let me know what you find.

Steve

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I double checked the resistance in the roll off switch circuit again and foud the following:

The roll off switch shows continuity when measured directly on the switch terminals.

When taking a reading at the module connector to the switch it shows an open circuit.

Measuring from Orange/Violet to ground shows 15 ohms, I think there may be a short to ground there in the harness. Can I by-pass the roll-off switch by shorting the 2 pins on the module connector.

Thanks, Todd

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

NO. you cannot.

the module needs an OPEN CIRCUIT reading to enable the SET function.

your options are to find and correct the wiring discrepancy OR remove the pins to the roll-off wires from the module connector.

this action will, however, disable the roll-off disengage feature. I would feel uncomfortable doing that.

you will probably have to remove the fuel tank to correct the problem with the roll-off wiring unless you see something you can access more easily.

Steve

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Steve,

I'm heading out west tomorrow on vacation, so I'll wrap this up today. The cruise control works with the roll-off switch disconnected, and the 2 wires still in the module connector. What should the resistance be across the 2 terminals of the switch by itself?

Todd

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

Todd,

the switch should read OPEN CIRCUIT normally.

the switch closes when you roll off the throttle. the closed switch inhibits the cruise.

Steve