Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

2005 Polaris 500 has no power to the instrument panel. Where

Customer Question

2005 Polaris 500 has no power to the instrument panel. Where is the main fuse located so I can change it out? I have removed the seat and don't see the fuses.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Jeff Policky replied 4 years ago.

this module year did not have fuses it has a power module #10 that has all of the power controls in a box that is not accessible (circuit beakers, regulator/rectifier and other controls. they had a recall on the power module. if you could give me the vin of your unit I can check if your unit is under that recall.

Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience: Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
vin #4XAJD50A152754526

this is ATP 500 the recalls were on the Sportsman but they have a power module also on the ATP. check for battery voltage to the interment panel on the red wire.

let me know what you find

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Jeff: I unplugged the power to the ecm. I had power there. I plugged it back in and unplugged the clip to the instrument panel. Suddenly everything was working again. The lights are flickering however even with a full battery charge. Before when I had the engine running and would turn on the lights, the engine would start wanting to cut out. I did not turn the engine on as I want to drain the gas first as I have not run the ATV for awhile. I plugged the clip back into the instrument panel and everything still works. I don't feel the problem is fixed since the lights are flickering and worry everything will short again. Any ideas?

check for battery voltage at the battery with the

key off

key on

key on cranking over the starter motor

key on engine running

this will give us a battery and charging system condition

let me know the results of this four test.