Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP

Hello I have a 99 polaris sportsman 335. My hot light is staying

Hello I have a 99 polaris sportsman 335. My hot light is staying on. I unhooked the sensor (oil temp sensor and it stayed on. I checked all wires for ground and found no breaks nor bare spots. I followed blue wire to the rev limiter. If I unplug the blue wt wire from limiter light will go off. If I unplug the yellow blk wire going into limiter the light will stay on ( I think this is the limiter as that is what the manual says it should be). Will the limiter kick the hot light on? Or am I barking up the wrong tree. thanks
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Jeff Policky replied 5 years ago.

black/yellow wires go th the thermistor (on the lower right of the oil cooler). they both go to the temp switch (below the terminal board).

is that what you have been testing?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The black yellow wires go to a electrical component that is on the front right of machine under the pop off cover to access the electrical. the parts book says this is the rev limiter. both blk/yel wires go to this then a blue wt wire wire goes to the light on dash panel. the blue\ wt wire is the one I am unplugging to make light go out

I am showing a black/yellow, orange/red, red/white and brown for the fan and hot light system for a 1999 sportsman 335 from the Polaris shop manual. Do i have the correct model and year of the unit

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
this is a 99 polaris sportman 335 The electrical that I am looking at is in the micro fishe from the parts dept of polaris. I am getting this under the electrical/taillight section.

#31 called a RELAY SOLID STATE LR-60 in the parts fiche, solid state temp switch in the wire diagram. whatever Polaris wants to call it that is the component that is controlling the temp sensor. test the thermistor with a ohm meter to see if it is working correctly.

Temperature - Resistance

77 ° F (25° C) - 100KΩ

240 ° F (116° C) - 3.5KΩ

260 ° F (127° C) - 2.5KΩ

290 ° F (143° C) - 1.6KΩ

let me know the results

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the wire that I am unplugging is for # XXXXX rev limiter. Thermister is ok Unplug the thing and I still have light. Unplug the blu/wt wire and light goes out even with thermister unpluged or pluged in. cross the two thermosister plugs together and the fan kicks on. Unit is not heating up and the fan will run auto when it does. Just this light on dash. That is what is getting me what does the limiter have to do with light? or is this maked wrong and I am really working on the relay and that is bad. That I could understand. with no signal from the thermosister the light should be off. On this unit the thermosister is on the top right had side.(as sitting on unit) I see that diagram shows it on bottom. I am thinking that the diagram is wrong and I am working on the electrical relay not limiter. I do have a bigger square box on the left side of unit ( as sitting in seat) that looks more like a limiter but this on wrong side and I see no pic of it in diagram. That is what is throwing me the diagram is wrong or I have something different here I have checked the vin numbers and looked up by them.
the wiring to that box is correct for the temp switch unit. it could be just miss marked in the parts fiche. as far as the light staying on i would say the short to ground is in side that box. most of the time that controller box is the issue.