Bike-Doc
Bike-Doc, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  I have fixed & modified bikes for 35 yrs I'm now THE Mobile Bike Mechanic for S.LONDON since 1990
38097336

Need to know how to time a honda 300ex

Customer Question

need to know how to time a honda 300ex
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 6 years ago.

Bike-Doc :

Hi, welcome to Justanswer
Your Honda is set to fire at 8 degrees before top dead centre at idle this advances with increasing revs

Bike-Doc :

This is fixed & cannot normally be altered.
To check you will need a timing (strobe) light, connect as per makers instructions.

Bike-Doc :

Remove the small inspection cap on the left side engine cover (alternator cover) & start engine

Bike-Doc :

Shine the light into the hole, at idle speed the 'F' mark on the alternator rotor should align with the index mark on the periphery of the inspection hole

Bike-Doc :

The 'F' mark should progress anti-clockwise away from the index mark as engine revs rise

Bike-Doc :

Switching to Q&A to give you a chance to respond

Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 6 years ago.
If you were referring to valve timing then remove the same inspection cap & the centre cap, also the cam cover must be removed
Align the grooves on the cam sprocket with the cylinder head mating surface (i.e. horizontal). |Move the piston to TDC by turning the crank with a socket wrench. The 'T' mark on the rotor must align with the index mark on the cover & the cam sprocket lines must be horizontal

Feel free to question me further on this if you need to