Richard, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Senior Mechanic & Technician
41497032

polaris Sportsman..I rev the engine to a high rpm, it breaks up..idles

I have a 2003 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO. When I rev the engine to a high RPM, it breaks up. It idles just fine. Is this a stator problem? If so, where is the stator located?
thanks
Paul
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

RACE TECH :

How are you ?

Customer:

good...

RACE TECH :

Does it sound like a rev limiter ? If you hold the throttle at full throttle does it pop and backfire at a steady rate ?

Customer:

yes...something like that.

RACE TECH :

OK, standy while I check the recall for you

RACE TECH :

do you have a vin number handy ?

Customer:

no...I'd have to go to the shop

RACE TECH :

Thats ok, standby

RACE TECH :

Thats ok, the recall isnt on these models

RACE TECH :

Any recent adjustments or maintence ?

RACE TECH :

Has the ATV sat for a period of time with out being ridden, lets say 3 weeks or more ?

Customer:

new plug, all new fluids, belt

RACE TECH :

Any recent adjustments or maintence ?

Customer:

no...it has been running a few times this year...it was running fine, then it did this

RACE TECH :

This is a safety feature your ATV has. I will explain and post a picture if I have one

Customer:

FYI...I did find a broken engine ground wire. I replaced that. But it still dosen't rev

RACE TECH :

Your ETC switch is activated when the throttle cable becomes pinched, damaged ot throttle is stcuk this switch will activate. You can try unpluggin it, to eliminate it. I have posted a picture belwo for you to inspect it

RACE TECH :

Full Size Image

RACE TECH :

I hope you have found my answer helpful. If I have helped you,please click accept. Clicking accept if the only way I am paid. Thanks & Goodluck RaceTech :)

You may be wondering how to reach me in the future, if you may have another question. You can achieve this by requesting me to answer your question or in your question, put FOR RACETECH.

RACE TECH :

Make sure you battery is 12.6 volts or higher and you have the battery load tested.

RACE TECH :

While pressin the start button, the voltage should not drop below 9.6 volts or more

RACE TECH :

Check your connections to and from the battery.

RACE TECH :

Also if all the above are inspect, unplug the solid black wire at the CDI box, and try to rev it up

Customer:

ok I will check that.

RACE TECH :

One more question here : Does choke make it run better ?

Customer:

no...it chokes the engine out

RACE TECH :

Good. I dont suspect a fuel problem here. These units did have aot of cam lobes wear, but try the above first and we can get deeper into it.

Customer:

I was powering hard through a big mud hole when this problem happened...it ran just fine before.

RACE TECH :

You have replced the belt,

RACE TECH :

Have you inspected the airfilter yet ?

Customer:

yup...less than 20 miles on it

Customer:

new air filter

RACE TECH :

I think your problem is the ETC switch

RACE TECH :

Is it about 1/4 throttle when this happens ?

Customer:

yes...at about 1/4 throttle. okay...is this something I can fix? or is this a replace?

RACE TECH :

You can inspect it and fix it.

RACE TECH :

You can also sometimes eliminate it. Understand I hold no responsibility if you eliminate it

RACE TECH :

It is a safety feature and I cannot be held responsible

Customer:

okay...like it is mechanical and it is stuck? No worries on the liability

RACE TECH :

Surehting !!!!

RACE TECH :

Please click accept, if you have been helped sir or mam.

Customer:

sweet...thanks.