Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004
11090168

Road king..I turn the bike on everything happens..push..starter

Customer Question

have a 2006 road king. When I turn the bike on everything happens like it is suppose to except when I push the start button nothing happens. Replace the starter, have the same problem. Jumped the starter and it works. Replaced the battery. Lights work. When I hit the run button all works like it's supposed to. Where should I go from here?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Steve replied 5 years ago.

Welcome. Thank you for choosing Just Answer.

do you have a security system?

do you see a red security "key" symbol on the speedo?

tell me the whole story starting from when you had no problem until now.

tell me everything. this goes much faster when I don;t have to guess.

Steve

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm not even sure if I have a suecurity system. Bought the bike from a friends wife. The friend dead on his other bike.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Went out to start the bike and go for a ride. Everything came on but the bike would not start. I got it to start with a friend pushing it. So I assumed it was the starter. I replaced the starter. Before I put the primary cover back on I tried to turn over the bike but the starter wouldn't turn over, in addition didn't get any lights or any reaction at all. I discovered that the battery was bad so I replaced it. After replacing the battery I have lights. When I turn the ignition switch the lights come on. When I press the run button I get normal reaction however when I hold the clutch and press the start button I get nothing. I thought I had another bad starter but I called my friend that fixes starters and he toalked me through jumping it. when I jumped the starter it worked.
Expert:  Steve replied 5 years ago.

check the ignition fuse.

it is in the fuse block under the left side cover.

check it with an ohm meter, or replace it. visual checks are not adequate. use one of the installed 15A spares.

let me know what you find.

Steve

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'll give that a try.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Didn't fix the problem
Expert:  Steve replied 5 years ago.

verify the starter relay pulls in when you press the starter push button.

if not, verify 12v to the starter relay socket where the black/red wire terminates.

verify the black wire is ground.

verify battery voltage to the relay socket where the tan wire terminates.

verify you get 12v to the wire on the spade connector on the starter solenoid when you press the start push button.

let me know what you find.

Steve