Richard, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Senior Mechanic & Technician

2001 cbr 929 that wont start. engine cranks over. There no

2001 cbr 929 that wont start. engine cranks over. There no error codes from computer. I have already ran the tests on the pulse generators etc as specified in service manual, they test good but it still will not start. it acts like there is no spark.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

RACE TECH :

How are you ?

RACE TECH :

When you accessed the codes, did you get the C00 ?

RACE TECH :

Check all your fuses and battery voltage and get back with me, if you need help with that let me know. Check your battery voltage with key off and then while cranking for 15 seconds. With key off voltage should be 12.6 volts or more. While cranking for 15 seconds, it should not drop below 9.6 volts.

RACE TECH :

Fuses should not be checked by eye balling them, but with a meter. Can you hear the fuel pump come on ?

RACE TECH :

I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on the green " ACCEPT " for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click " ACCEPT ". Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck! RaceTech

Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your matter, just put "FOR RaceTech" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.

Thanks. RaceTech ( Honda Expert )

“NOTE: I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.”

Customer:

i tested the fuses with a meter. the same meter that i used on testing everything else. fuel pump is fine. Voltage is good. those are step 1 tests

RACE TECH :

So fuel pump and the needle is sweeping when you turn the igntion switch on ?

RACE TECH :

What is your voltage on the battery, since you have tested it ?

Customer:

GSXrs sweep the tach not hondas

RACE TECH :

Open circuit at the power input wire of the
ECM
Faulty bank angle sensor
Open circuit in bank angle sensor related
circuit

Faulty engine stop relay o
• Open circuit in engine stop relay related
wires
Faulty engine stop switch
Open circuit in engine stop switch related
wires

Faulty ignition switch

Faulty ECM

Blown PGM-F1 fuse (20 A)

Open circuit in engine stop switch ground
• Blown sub-fuse (10 A) (Starter/ignition)

RACE TECH :

Sounds like the angle sensor or the ECM is faulty. Do you have a ECM you can borrow off another bike.

RACE TECH :

Sorry about the needle sweep and the C00 code.

RACE TECH :

I have pre typed answers for most common problems, and some how those 2 ended up in there

Customer:

for whatever unknown reason it did start for all of 20 secoonds last night while testing the ingnition pulse generator. it then died again and has not restarted.

RACE TECH :

OK, so now were getting somewhere

RACE TECH :

When did the problem happen and was it during a ride ?

RACE TECH :

Have you checked the connection at the pulse wire

Customer:

have you ever seen a pulse generator have an intermitint problem? from what i know they either work or not

RACE TECH :

If I remember correcty the pulse wire is on the left side of the bike

RACE TECH :

I have seen them work and then not work.

Customer:

there are 2 on this POS an ignition pulse 0on the right side and a cam pulse on the left

RACE TECH :

Check for spark by grounding the plug to the cylinder head and cranking the engine over.

RACE TECH :

Check each one.

Customer:

did that too, no spark.

Customer:

so it nust be the sensor, the wire or the ecm

RACE TECH :

I see more pulse problems than anything else on the Hondas and ECM problems on the suzuki's

Customer:

ok ill change the generator. thx

RACE TECH :

Suzuki has a bad reputation of faulty regulator/rectifier that burns the brain out

RACE TECH :

Honda has a bad reputation of pulse coil

Customer:

yea my buddies gsxr did that

Customer:

ok thx again

RACE TECH :

I would check the wiring to and from that sensor before you buy another one

Richard, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience: Senior Mechanic & Technician