Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP

My Vulcan has been charging all day , but wont turn over

My Vulcan has been charging all day , but won't turn over. My husb. walked out last yr. now I am taking care of my Bike. I purchased coolant for it today.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Jeff Policky replied 5 years ago.

batteries average life for motorcycles is a year.

You will need a voltmeter to test the battery and charging system. Make sure the battery post are tight. The battery needs to be load tested to see its condition and health. A battery may indicate a full charge condition in the battery voltage test and the specific gravity test, but still may not have the storage capacity necessary to properly function in the electrical system. For this reason, a battery capacity or load test should be conducted whenever poor battery performance is encountered. To perform this test, Verify the battery is fully charged. Then hook a multitester to the battery The reading should be 12.6 volts or greater. Engage the starter and observe the battery voltage while hitting the start button. Continue the test for 15 seconds. During the test observed voltage should not drop below 9.5 volts. If the beginning voltage is 12.6 volts or higher and the cranking voltage drops below 9.5 volts during the test, replace the battery.

let me know the results

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will try this, but ,not so sure that's the problem. thank you

it sounds like you have a battery that is shorted internally. the test will confirm the problem

let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you
sure, when you have a chance to do the test. result post them so I know what the next step is