Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004

I purchased a sony model cdx-gt700hd radio to mount on my Harley

I purchased a sony model cdx-gt700hd radio to mount on my Harley Davidson motorcycle from But the radio is way smaller than the hole in fairing where the radio goes. Did I get the wrong radio? or is there a adapter kit that I need?

Welcome. Thank you for choosing Just Answer.

the earlier models (1995 and earlier) use a smaller unit.

are you sure you ordered the correct kit for your bike???

check the part number and get back to me. I will help you figure it out.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Steve, I don't know the part number of kit, I purchased the bike used and the previous owner had a radio on it that they removed b-4 trading it in so all that I have is the spot the radio is supposed to go, wiring harness and ant, and speakers

if you purchased the kit from Biketronics and it is for a Harley Electra Glide and the radio is smaller than the hole, you must have received a kit for a 1995 or earlier model.

all I can suggest is to contact Biketronics and see if you can work out a swap for the correct unit.