Doug E.
Doug E., Kawasaki Master Technician
Experience:  Professional motorcycle mechanic since 1978. Vintage motorcycle restorer.

oil capacity of a 1996 kawasaki vulcan 1500a?..oil and filter change

Customer Question

What is the oil capacity of a 1996 kawasaki vulcan 1500A? And, how do I do the oil and filter change?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Doug E. replied 5 years ago.

That uses a spin-on oil filter so pick that up with 4 qts of oil before starting.

I'm posting a photo below. A is the drain plug. You will see the spin-on filter to the rear of that and there is a screen under the cap to the left. You will need a filter wrench a 17mm socket and a 19mm socket.

After you drain the oil, clean the screen and change the filter, fill with 3.5 qts of oil. Run the engine and let it warm up. Shut it off and let it cool for about 10 minutes. With the bike straight up and down, check the oil level in the sight glass window. Add oil until the level is in the middle of the glass and you are good to go.

Let me know if you need any additional information.

View Full Image