Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP

I HAVE NOTICED MY OIL COOLING FAN IS NOT TURNING ON AS BEFORE.

Customer Question

I HAVE A 2005 330 MAGNUM. I HAVE NOTICED MY OIL COOLING FAN IS NOT TURNING ON AS BEFORE. I CHECKED THE FAN AND IT IS OK. I DISCONECTED THE THERMISTOR LEADS AND AS SOON AS I TURNED THE IGNITION ON, THE FAN CAME ON. AT WHAT OHM READING SHOULD THE FAN COME ON? WHAT IS THE BOX THE THERMISTOR LEADS GO TO CALLED OR NAMED? THANK YOU, XXXXX XXXXX JR.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Jeff Policky replied 3 years ago.

hello Jim

The common failure part in that system is the power control module. Since the fan comes on when the thermistor is disconnected, that indicates the thermistor being bad.

the fan will come on at 2.5k ohms (260 degrees)

the light will come on at 1.6k ohms (290 degrees)

when the thermistor is disconnected does the hot light come on also?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
JEFF POLICKY ----- YES, MY HOT LIGHT DOES COME ON WHEN THE THERMISTOR IS DISONNECTED AND THE FAN MOTOR RUNS. DO I HAVE PROBLEM WITH THE THERMISTOR OR THE POWER CONTROL MODULE? THANKS, JIM MORALES, JR.

the box is the power module. they had some recalls on the power module boxes due to burning up. was yours replaced? if you are not sure if you unit is part of the recall with the vin I can confirm it for you if you would like me to.

was their any thing else you kneeded to know?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
JEFF POLICKY ----- THE POWER MODULE HAS NEVER BEEN REPLACED. I BOUGHT IT NEW. THE VIN# IS 4XACD32A05B678274 -- MAN. DATE IS 02/08/2005. SHOULD I REPLACE THE THERMISTOR OR THE MODULE OR BOTH? THANK YOU, JIM MORALES, JR.
the power module was check and confirmed that it already has the silver updated box in it from the factory. I would not replace any thing yet until their is a confirmed bad part and the only that could be bad from you description is the thermistor. does the unit seam to be running hotter than it usually does?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
JEFF POLICKY ---- YES JEFF, IT IS RUNNING SLIGHTLY HOTTER THAN USUAL. THE ENGINE PINGED ONE TIME AND THAT IS WHEN I DECIDED SOMETHING WAS'NT RIGHT. IT ONLY HAS 94 HOURS RUN TIME. THANK YOU, JIM MORALES, JR. P.S. --- TELL ME WHAT DO, PLEASE.

you will need to check the resistance of the thermistor with a thermometer hot water and a ohm meter. or it may be easer to replace the thermistor if you think that is a bad part. the readings should be.

100k ohms (77 degrees)

3.5k ohms (240 degrees)

2.5k ohms (260 degrees)

1.6k ohms (290 degrees)