Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004

! Need a wiring diagram for a 73 sportster ironhead xlh 1000cc.

Customer Question

! Need a wiring diagram for a 73 sportster ironhead xlh 1000cc. Have the shop manual version( found that download easily). Totally unreadable. Need something possibly in color and legible. My buddy and I are both good wrenchers- however, could use a few notes if possible. My buddy has been pulling his hair out, wiring still slightly off. Somebody please help me and my buddy out!
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Steve replied 5 years ago.

Welcome. Thank you for choosing Just Answer.

you are not going to find anything of much use on-line unless you get it from Harley and we are prohibited from forwarding HD copyrighted material.

this one is the best one I have found:

that said, if you have specific questions I can answer them for you.

I think with your poor diagram and my instruction we can save your buddy's hair!

Edited by steve on 2/8/2011 at 2:58 PM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks Steve for your effort. Well, although you did find the same diagram, yours is a bit more legible. I had tried to enhance my earlier diagrams (found online), but just blurrier! Hope he can follow this. I told him he needs to start over from the battery forward- chasing and testing leads along the way. Could be a simple break(short) in the flow! Thanks again Man!
Expert:  Steve replied 5 years ago.

if you come across specific issues, let me know and we can address them one at a time.

from the battery to the coil, try to follow this:

batt - to ground, batt + to starter solenoid, long stud.

(solenoid short stud to starter)

there is another wire (red) on the long stud which goes to the "bat" terminal on the regulator.

there are 3 red wires on the "bat" terminal of the regulator.

1 goes to the starter solenoid, as above.

1 goes to the B terminal on the ignition switch.

1 goes to the starter relay.

back to the ignition switch:

a wire from the L terminal goes to the "lighting" breaker, copper stud.

a wire from the I terminal goes to the ignition breaker, copper stud (which is connected to the ACCY breaker by a copper strip).

from the load side (silver terminal) of the ignition breaker is a gray wire that goes to the run/stop (kill) switch.

there are 2 white wires on the kill switch.

one goes over to the start pushbutton, the other goes to the coil.