HHP_Honda_Expert
HHP_Honda_Expert, Technician
Experience:  20+ Years in Industry ---------- High Performance Technician -------- All around Enthusiast
13359775

i have a 05 honda 4 wheeler automatic w electric shift, i was

Customer Question

i have a 05 honda 4 wheeler automatic w electric shift, i was riding it the other nite and it seemed like it was getting warm so i wet to go park it and the esp started to flash for the tranny. now i cant get it to go back to automatic and it is acting like it is stuck in 1st gear any suggestions
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  HHP_Honda_Expert replied 3 years ago.

HHP_Honda_Expert :

Hi, do you have the manual shift tool?
you can at least get it back to neutral... ... and then I can get the procedure for the codes.

Customer :

it goes into neutral drive and reverse, but as soon as you apply gas it acts like it wants to stall and the e s p starts to flash by the speedometer

Customer :

when i parked it ,it acted like it was stuck in first gear going to the trailer

HHP_Honda_Expert :

OK good,... if it will go into gear there is a reset procedure that 9 times out of 10 will fix this issue.

Although it is a bit lengthy it is what is necessary to correct the problem.

give me a minute to upload the files.

Customer :

ok

HHP_Honda_Expert :

Full Size Image

Full Size Image

Full Size Image

OK here is the procedure,...above
it is best to read it over 3 or more times to become very familiar with exactly what needs to happen,... ...no shortcuts
Sit on the ATV and practice it so you have it down before you start.
as this is time sensitive to get into the mode and through the test [step 7 to step 10].

make sure were you are in ESP mode [manual shift mode] first.

Turn key off, set to ESP, turn key on, move lever from "N" to "D"

You should be starting the procedure in ESP mode.

If you do not get into the sequence you will need to turn the Key switch off and restart this part again.

Turn the key on while holding Up and Down shift
Wait for 'N' to blink
then,... release both... and ..quickly,... go and TAP
UP,...DOWN,...UP,... quickly
You should then see the "--" not flashing
And, then hear the Shift Motor Activate [a little whirring sound]

and next,......within 5 seconds of seeing the non flashing "--" come from before

Open the throttle lever from its closed position to full wide open then release to full closed position

Then it will change from the non flashing "--" to an 'N'

[[[ this is what I am saying to practice]]] the would thing should take maybe 10 seconds to do.

If you do not get into the sequence you will need to turn the Key switch off and restart the above part again.

.

Customer :

should the bike be running or just in the on position?

HHP_Honda_Expert :

steps 1-4 are running,... steps 6-17 the atv is not running

Customer :

it is kind of hard to read the full size are they the same as what you wrote?

HHP_Honda_Expert :

yes I rewrote the main part of the procedure but not all of it...
if you save the image to your computer then you can open it with your image photo viewer of choice.

.

HHP_Honda_Expert :

Hi, I have to step away form the chat for now... ... if you have any questions or concerns, post here and I will get notification and will come back to read and answer, Thanks.

If you still have questions or this does not help, please ask further questions.

You may always come back at any point to reference information and ask more questions.

Please don't forget to click the accept button when you are happy.

Thanks

.

Customer :

the neutral indicator came on flashed the neutral i let it go and pushed the up and down buttons but im not getting double-- lines to get the adjustment any ideas? also i found out that the esp shift works but no automatic

Customer :

the neutral indicator flashes 3 times then goes solid

Customer :

goes solid N

HHP_Honda_Expert :

this is the hard part of the procedure, it may take several tries.

but it sounds like you got into the procedure alright.
and can proceed with step 5 and up

----------------------------------------------------------------------

If you did not get into the sequence you will need to turn the Key switch off and restart this part again.

Wait for 'N' to blink
UP,...DOWN,...UP,... quickly

**********************************************************************************

.....within 5 seconds of seeing the non flashing "--" come from before

*********************************************************************************************

when it changes to the solid N... ... proceed with steps 5 and up...

Customer :

as the n blinks i do the up and down and the n goes solid i dont ever get the --

HHP_Honda_Expert :

excuse me I meant steps 11 and up

HHP_Honda_Expert :

step 6 ---switching into auto?

If you did not get into the sequence you will need to turn the Key switch off and restart again, from step 5.

If that still does not work you will have to restart at step 1.

HHP_Honda_Expert :

I am going to have to be away from my computer for a while maybe 3 or so hours, but I will check back with you when I get back.
Thanks.

HHP_Honda_Expert :

Hi I am checking your progress to see how it is going.