Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004
11090168

how do i change the right throttle grip on a harley dyna m

how do i change the right throttle grip on a harley dyna model
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

Welcome. Thank you for choosing Just Answer.

what part number grips are you wanting to install?

Steve

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This the multi fit kit Part# XXXXX the left is no problem but the right may require
me to loosen the throttle cable.

Thanks
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

here is a link to the HD installation instructions.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Media/downloads/Service/isheets/-J02842.pdf

2009 model Harleys have no throttle cables.

they use electronic throttle control.

you will have to install the new right side grip on the electronic throttle assembly.

Steve

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Steve that is the same instruction sheet that i have that came with the kit.
I need a little more guidance for the right side. I t says refer to the service manual for the right side.

Thanks
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

Sorry....I just realized yours is a Dyna model.....oops.

proceed as follows:

pull on the hand brake and insert a small piece of cardboard or rubber between the lever and the bracket to hold the brake lever out slightly. let me know if you don't understand this instruction. you will damage the hand brake light switch if you don't do this correctly.

remove the 2 screws holding the right hand control clamshell together, just as you did the left side. you should be able to see where the cable ends terminate on the slots in the throttle grip.

loosen the lock on both the throttle and idle cable adjusters.

slack both cables fully.

remove the cable ends from the throttle grip sleeve.

watch for the cable end adapters......don't lose them.

you will need those little brass adapters for installation.

remove old grip. slide new grip on the right handlebar.

attach a brass adapter to the throttle cable and insert in the slot nearest the front of the bike.

attach a brass adapter to the idle cable and insert in remaining slot

snug up the cable adjusters just to get the slack out of the housing and install the right hand switch clam shell being careful not to pinch any wires or cables.

slack the idle cable adjuster fully.

adjust the throttle cable adjuster so that the throttle body butterflies hit the wide open stop just as the throttle grip reaches wide open throttle (WOT).

snug the lock nut on the throttle cable adjuster.

adjust the idle cable adjuster to remove excess slack from the throttle grip, but not so tight as to cause the grip to bind.

snug the locknut on the idle cable adjuster.

turn the grip to WOT and release. it should snap shut.

if it does not snap shut or there is any resistance to rotation or any binding, loosen the idle cable adjuster until you feel no binding and get a smooth snap shut from WOT, without excessive free play in the throttle.

let me know if you need more help.

Steve

Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience: 30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your help I would rather pay you 45.00 than to mess it up and pay HD dealership 80,00 plus in terf i am unfamillar with It went well and I made all the necessary adjustments.

Thanks Master Steve!!!!

Joe S.