Doug E.
Doug E., Kawasaki Master Technician
Experience:  Professional motorcycle mechanic since 1978. Vintage motorcycle restorer.
7400257

how do you adjust the choke on a 1993 polaris xlt

Customer Question

Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Doug E. replied 3 years ago.

Kawasaki Doug :

Hello

Kawasaki Doug :

The choke cables need to be synchronized when adjusted.

Kawasaki Doug :

First, make sure choke is off. Pull up the rubber boots on choke cables where they attach to the carb bodies.

Kawasaki Doug :

Loosen the adjuster jam nuts.

Kawasaki Doug :

Turn the adjuster up until you no longer have cable play, then turn it down one turn. Do the same to the other carb. Tighten the jam nuts and put the boots back down.

Kawasaki Doug :

As long as your cables are good, that should be all that is needed. The choke lever should have off (down) a middle and a full choke (up) setting.

Customer :

what do you mean by cable play

Kawasaki Doug :

When you turn down the adjuster at the base of the cable where it goes into the carb body, the cable housing will have freeplay. If you back the adjuster out (up) you will feel the play get less and less until gone. At that point the choke plunger is starting to open in the carb. You need to turn it down 1 turn from there so there is freeplay in the cable or the choke will be on a little all of the time.

Kawasaki Doug :

When done, each cable with have freeplay at the carb and the lever will have about 1/8" freeplay. Give me a moment and I'll post a diagram of those things for you.

Kawasaki Doug :

Full Size Image

Kawasaki Doug :

A is the jam nut, B is the adjuster.

Kawasaki Doug :

Full Size Image

Kawasaki Doug :

This is the final result showing the freeplay at the lever. If you have a single carb machine, that is the only measurement you need to achieve. On a 2 or 3 carb motor, each cable must be adjusted so they open the same.

Kawasaki Doug :

Full Size Image

Kawasaki Doug :

If there is not enough freeplay, the full choke position will not work and the sled won't start when cold.

Kawasaki Doug :

Does all of that make sense??

Customer :

yes, what is the right way to set the idle when i am done

Kawasaki Doug :

Do you have a two or three carbs?

Customer :

three

Kawasaki Doug :

If nobody has messed with them, you can just turn the idle screws all the same amount to raise or lower the idle. If the carbs have been off, or someone has cranked in one of the screws but not the others, then the carbs need to be synchronized and all of the idle screws reset. Would you like that information?

Customer :

yes

Kawasaki Doug :

Before you start, be sure the carbs are on in the correct order. Most Polaris 3 cylinder motors have different carb jetting for each cylinder. Another note is that there is a safety switch on your throttle lever. When the cable play is being adjusted, the engine may cut out until you are finished. You can always unplug the throttle safety switch until you are done.

Kawasaki Doug :

Snowmobile carburetor synchronization:

This is a very fast and effective way to synchronize VM style snowmobile carbs after they have been removed for cleaning or to replace the throttle cable. It can be done with minimal tools.

You will need to access the intake side of the carbs, so pull the airbox boots out of the way. On some models there is no room to do that, so follow this process before you install the carbs. Just remember to prop them up so there is no tension on the cables.

1. Back out the idle screws.

2. Turn down the cable adjusters so the slides bottom out. Verify that all slides bottom out when you let off the throttle. If any don’t, there is a problem in your cables. Replace the cable and proceed.

3. Turn up the cable adjuster on one carb until you feel the slide move. Turn it down ½ turn and repeat for each carb.

4. Turn in an idle screw until you feel it just touch the slide. Putting your finger on the slide will help. Repeat for the other carbs. Now turn in each screw three turns. Remember that from now on, anytime you want to adjust the idle, all screws must be turned in or out the exact same amount.

5. Open the throttle lever and put your finger or a straight edge in the carb bore. Hold the throttle open so that the bottom of the slide is even with the top of the bore in the carb. Hold the throttle there and check the other carbs. Adjust the cable adjuster at the top of each carb until all are flush. Open and close the throttle several times and double check. Remember that from now on, to adjust cable freeplay, all adjusters must be moved the exact same amount.

6. Check your throttle cable freeplay at the throttle lever and compare to the factory specifications. Adjust the cable adjusters as needed to reach this amount.

7. Start and run the machine. Adjust the idle as needed and then check the throttle freeplay. You are done.

Now the carbs can be fine tuned with a synchronization gauge if you wish. You should find that they are within specs if you have done the job correctly. My method works because the slides and the carb bodies are machined parts and are virtually identical from one to another.

Kawasaki Doug :

The air screws set at about 1.5 turns out.

Kawasaki Doug :

Throttle lever freeplay on your model is .010" - .030"

Kawasaki Doug :

Do you need more information?

Kawasaki Doug :

If any of that doesn't make sense, let me know.

Kawasaki Doug :

If that is all you need, just hit the ACCEPT button so I am credited for my answer. If you need more help, just ask. I'm happy to help you out.