Richard, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Senior Mechanic & Technician
41497032

I need to change the choke lever on my Artic Cat 650 v-twin

I need to change the choke lever on my Artic Cat 650 v-twin 2004. Can you help?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

RACETECH :

How are you ?

RACETECH :

I am in the middle of typing your answer please say a hello when you come into chat.

Customer :

Hello

RACETECH :

I will be right with you.

Customer :

ok

RACETECH :

The carburetor has to be pulled from the quad in order to change the choke cable or plunger. I have posted a diagram of the choke cable and circled where it connects. It comes out counter clock wise. I use a set up needle nose pliers on these if the wrench will not fit, unless you have line wrenches. I would pull the new cable through the body work by attaching it to the old cable, it make it simple that way sometimes.

Full Size Image
I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on the green " ACCEPT " for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click " ACCEPT ". Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck! RaceTech

Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your matter, just put "FOR RaceTech" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.

Thanks. RaceTech (Motorcycle & ATV Expert )

Customer :

I only need to know how to change the choke lever

RACETECH :

OH got you. Just one second.

Customer :

A little plastic lever

RACETECH :

Yea I will post that.

RACETECH :

Im looking for a diagram for you now

RACETECH :

OK I got it. Let me see if I can explain it to you.

RACETECH :

The left switch housing has to be removed from the handle bar. Then the outer rings needs to be removed and then the lever itself by removing the cable from it. The reinstall the new one in the reverse steps.

Full Size Image

Customer :

Does the handle grip come off easily?

RACETECH :

That will depend. Sometimes and sometimes not. I use compressed air into the handle grip if it has a hole in the end of it. Sometimes I try to force air in the backside of it. If it you cant get it off you will need to cut it and then install a new one.

Customer :

Can an ametuer do this easily

RACETECH :

Should be quite simple here. I would think so.

Customer :

Thank you so much

RACETECH :

Yep just click accept when were done here.