Doug E.
Doug E., Kawasaki Master Technician
Experience:  Professional motorcycle mechanic since 1978. Vintage motorcycle restorer.
7400257

92 polaris sp efi 500 what is the fuel pressure spec

Customer Question

Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Doug E. replied 6 years ago.

Kawasaki Doug :

Hello

Kawasaki Doug :

That should be around 35 psi

Kawasaki Doug :

Full Size Image

Kawasaki Doug :

What kind of problems are you having?

Customer :

i just got this from friend setting for to years, put battery new fuel starts, idles then dies runs on starting have power to pump pump runs but need to check pressure

Kawasaki Doug :

If it sat with gas in it then it could have varnish build-up in the filter or injectors. Make sure the tank was drained. Change the filter and run SeaFoam in the gas. You will also want to check the throttle safety switch. If that has corrosion on the contacts it will cut out as you open the throttle. That's a common problem. Give me a minute to pull up the wiring diagram on that.

Customer :

good flow from tank ck filter ok good flow to rail seems like running out of gas ran pump with jumper

Kawasaki Doug :

There is a single black wire coming from the CDI box into the harness. If you unplug that, you eliminate all of the switches. If it runs good, then test each switch with an ohm meter until you find the bad one. Most often it is the safety switch in the throttle housing.

Kawasaki Doug :

When you run the pump with a jumper, does it run out of gas????

Customer :

no

Kawasaki Doug :

OK. There may be some varnish in the regulator, but your pressure test will show that. Give that a try and also do the wiring bypass I mentioned.

Customer :

wiring dia

Kawasaki Doug :

It's a single black wire. Most Polaris have a single black/white wire, so maybe the diagram I have is wrong, but it's one or the other.

Customer :

thanks i will do this after work i will get back to you my friend

Kawasaki Doug :

Give me a second and I'll post the part of the diagram that shows that wire.

Kawasaki Doug :

OK, I've marked the wire that shuts off the ignition. Unplug this from the switch and all wiring is bypassed. That will eliminate any issues outside of the main ignition parts.

Kawasaki Doug :

Full Size Image

Kawasaki Doug :

That should give you some things to check over. Let me know when you have tested those items and we will go from there.

Customer :

ok

Kawasaki Doug :

Just reply to this when you are back and I will be notified.

Customer :

I just road it, I had fuel pump out,ck filters, put back togethere runs great!!!!!!!!!!!

Customer :

dont know what happen thanks for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kawasaki Doug :

Great. Might have had a loose wire or something.

Kawasaki Doug :

Or could have had some crud in the regulator. If my answer helped you, please click on the accept button so I get paid. If it didn't you can use your deposit to ask another question. Happy riding.