Richard, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Senior Mechanic & Technician
41497032

voltage regulator located on a 05 Ski doo mxz 550f

Where is the voltage regulator located on a 05 Ski Doo MXZ 550F?? We've got the part and the mechanic said it would be easy to replace, but we can't find it. Thanks!!
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

RACETECH :

How are you ?

RACETECH :

Trace the stator/magneto wires from the engine and then the stator harness plugs into the regulator.

Customer :

We don't now what that is?

RACETECH :

Let me see if I can find a picture for you

Customer :

Cool! I hope you know I'm just the the go between you and him, who's out in the garage! LOL!

RACETECH :

Give me a few minutes and see if I can find you a picture. Are you there with the sled now ? If so, look on side of the engine and you will see some wires coming off of it.

Customer :

I'll tell him, which side?

RACETECH :

Im pulling your manual now

Customer :

okay

RACETECH :

standby.....

Customer :

okay

RACETECH :

Computer is running a little slow opening your manual. Be just a minute or so.

Customer :

okay thanks

RACETECH :

Look on the right side of the engine, you will see a few wires coming out. 3 seperate wires and 3 more wires with a plug on them.

RACETECH :

All the wires will be in one harness with sheathing on them coming out of the engine.

Customer :

Right side when you are sitting on the sled?

RACETECH :

On the recoil start side of the engine.

RACETECH :

Looks like my manual is opening

Customer :

Where does it mount on the snowmobile?

RACETECH :

The stator mounts on the crankshaft of the engine. I will show you a picture of the stator

Customer :

stator or starter?

RACETECH :

Stator.

RACETECH :

I cant find any good pictures of the location, Let me OPT out and see if another expert has anything for you.

RACETECH :

Im sure your in a hurry

Customer :

Ok. I'm just the female go between, the guys want to go sledding REAL bad!!! Thanks!

Customer :

He found it but how do you get to it?

RACETECH :

Great

RACETECH :

follow the wires coming from the stator.

Customer :

What's a stator?

RACETECH :

Which part did he find ?

Customer :

There are no headlights or tail lights, would the regulator cause these lights to blow out?

RACETECH :

More than likely the stator itself. The regulator will usually cause the bulbs to blow.

RACETECH :

Are the bulbs blowing ?

Customer :

Yes. He doesn't know what a stator is, what is it?

RACETECH :

The stator is creates voltage while the sled is running and the regulator will regulate that voltage. The stator is located on the right side of the engine, pretty good amount of work to get it removed.

RACETECH :

If the bulbs are blowing, then you are on the right track here

RACETECH :

With the regulator.

Customer :

on the right track w/ the regulator?

RACETECH :

Yes if the bulbs are blowing .

Customer :

Ok, I'm gonna take my laptop out to the garage...hang on.

RACETECH :

OK

Customer :

He's gonna try replacing a headlight bulb, will that let us know?

RACETECH :

Did you find the regulator ?

RACETECH :

If more than one bulb blew, I would suspect the regulator.

Customer :

He's swearing pretty bad right now...lol...What do I ask him?

RACETECH :

Did he find the stator wires on the right side of the engine ?

RACETECH :

Lower backside

RACETECH :

3 yellow wires.

Customer :

is there a trick to replacing the bulb?

RACETECH :

NO,

Customer :

He's replacing the regulator. If that doesn't work it's the stator? And is that a job for the pro's?

RACETECH :

Look on the firewall of the sled or right close to where the engine mounts on the right side. Skidoo usually uses both places but the firewall more than anything and it will be mounted to a piece of metal.

RACETECH :

The stator is usually a job for the pro's, BUT with a good service manual, you will save alot of money.

RACETECH :

There are many manuals online at tradebit.com, but I cant seem to find yours for the 2005. I found the 2007 manual

RACETECH :

Glad he found that regulator.

RACETECH :

Don't forget to press accept once were done here

Customer :

Thanks! He's swearing at the bulb replacement now.

RACETECH :

No problem

RACETECH :

Let me see if I can find him a diagram on that

Customer :

Great!!!

RACETECH :

HAs he gotten the old bulb out ?

Customer :

yes

Customer :

can't get the new one

RACETECH :

Here is the diagram

RACETECH :

The bulb has some tabs on it. He may need to flip the bulb around so the tabs will match up. So do a 180 degree turn with the bulb and then install it.

RACETECH :

Full Size Image

RACETECH :

Those bulbs have 2 or 3 tabs on them and they have to be lined up perfect and then push it in and then turn it.

Customer :

Let me go grab him, brb

RACETECH :

OK

Customer :

Which way do you turn it if he manages to get the tabs lined up?

RACETECH :

Cant tell but usually clockwise will do the trick.

RACETECH :

Clockwise

Customer :

The whole housing came out

RACETECH :

HUH ? What you mean whole housing ?

RACETECH :

Should have lined the tabs up, push down on the bulb, turn the bulb slightly.

RACETECH :

What housing cam loose ?

RACETECH :

Usually taking a break for 5 - 10 minutes and then coming back will give a better thought, atleast for me it does.

Customer :

OOPS, mistake he was yelling that he wished the whole housing came out! He's gonna take a break!!

Customer :

Thanks for your help. Have a good one!!

RACETECH :

please press accept when were done here. I will wait if you need me to.

Customer :

I think he's gonna take the other sled out and chill out!! Get him outta my hair!! LOL!!! You don't need to wait. Thanks again!

Richard, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience: Senior Mechanic & Technician