Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

Ranger: 4x4..start first..first crank of day then runs fine and starts

2005 Polaris Ranger 500 4x4- Very hard to start first crank of day then runs fine and starts easily.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Jeff Policky replied 3 years ago.

is the choke being applied when the unit is being started in the morning?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have tried both ways, with choke and without.

when the unit has been started for the first time the rest of the day it will start ok ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, it starts fine and runs fine after starting the first time, unless it sits for several hours(more than 5-6 hours).

a couple of the things could be giving you this issue.

1. fuel dripping out of the float bowl and then fuel pump needs to be crank a lot to re fill the fuel bowl to start
  2. the cold start jet is plugged in the carb
  3. the pilot jet (Idle circuit in the carb) is too lean.

remove the rear air boot on the carb and spray a small amount into the back of the carb and see if this will improve the cold starting of the unit.

let me know what happens

Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience: Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Where is the rear air boot on the carb located, and what do I spray in the back of carb?
sorry spray fuel into the back of the carb. the intake boot comes from the air cleaner to the carb. this way fuel can be added to the carb to see if it is a lean condition causing the hard starting