Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

2005 Suzuki: Pulling..the timing chain tensioner extended..clutch

2005 Suzuki LS650/s40: Got a horrendous noise under the right side cover coupled with starting problems and nasty backfires. Pulling the cover, found the timing chain tensioner extended past its limit and the spring had bellied out and been cut in half by the clutch housing. I bought timing chain, tensioner and the spring-loaded device Suzuki calls a tensioner. Additionally the right side cover is peeling (from heat, I think), where the left side cover is factory sharp. The bike has 31,000 miles on it. I am the second owner since 18,159 miles. All symptoms occured in about a 10-day period prior the "the big noise". I think heat must have caused the degree of chain stretch. I run Mobil 1. What do you think is prime cause?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Jeff Policky replied 3 years ago.
most times the chain is what has worn and caused the cam chain tensioner problem. chains do wear and if it was over heated that will cause the chain to wear faster. a bad cam chain tensioner can cause a chain to wear faster as it can cause a wiping action on the chain that will stretch it out
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I live in Fort Worth, Texas. The bike is a commuter, 24 miles/day. About 20 miles of that commute is freeway (60-70)mph. August is hot, 95-102F this year. Other years have been hotter. Can you think of things that could minimize heating? 20 miles 8 hours apart doesn't seem outside the envelope of performance for this machine. I do my own tune-ups, oil change, etc. I am considering the Supertrapp kit for this bike and doing a couple of months tuning/rejetting, more for efficiency than performance. Will that exhaust change reduce engine heating? Most blogs and professional reviews point out that the stock S40 has backfire problems and runs a bit lean. Or is it most likely I got early failure of a factory timing chain?

heating issue would be from sitting and idling for a extended period of time like in a traffic jam and not from on the highway as air is flowing fast over the cooling fins of the cylinder and cooling it much better at speeds rather than sitting in traffic.

how often is the oil changed?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Book say (I bought the factory workshop manual) every 3500 miles. I have been changing at 2500. Its easier to remember and I worried a little about a wet plate clutch turning in the same oil that lubed the rest of the engine. Well, I guess I'll see if I lose another timing chain in 31,000 miles. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Thank you, XXXXX

That is good every 2500 miles. you can never change oil to much. do you use Mobil 1 motorcycle oil or the car oil?

glad to help and you have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year also

Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience: Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP