Richard, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Senior Mechanic & Technician
41497032

1977 honda: trail..speed automatic..What is the shift pattern

I have a 1977 honda trail 70. It has a 3 speed automatic. What is the shift pattern? I have to shift up to get into gear. Should I shift all the way up and then down to get into the other gears? Also it is very hard to shift into gear and to change gears. The bike was pretty beat up when I got it. The engine runs great.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

RACETECH :

Hello ?

RACETECH :

Welcome to Just Answer where we diagnose, repair and give excellent suggestions. I will be glad to assist you today. I may have a few question's along to the way to find the culprit of the problem, answering them accurately as possible will allow me to give you the best answer to my knowledge. If at anytime I answer the question along the way to find the problem, please click accept. Please leave positive feedback as I will for you. Before leaving negative feedback try to work it out with the expert. Lets get started

RACETECH :

Shifting up is the correct procedure

RACETECH :

Just curious of where your finding neutral at ?

RACETECH :

Will the bike not shift through all gears ?

RACETECH :

N-1-2-3 and shift up from neutral is 1st gear.

RACETECH :

If it is hard to shift then the transmission components would need to be inspected.

RACETECH :

If I have answered the question please click accept and if you need additional information please ask me.

Customer :

Neutral is all the way down. Just to be clear, from neutral to get into first gear you shift up. From first to second gear is it down? I hear if the bike has been dropped the shaft that is used to shift the gears may be bent. How do I remove the clutch? It looks like someone has done some repairs, the philip head screws on the cluch are pretty chewed up.

RACETECH :

Im reading your post

RACETECH :

To shift from first to second, you would continue to shift up and from tsecond to thierd you would shift up. And then to shift back to second you shift down.

Customer :

I would like to remove the shifting shaft to see it's bent, but I need to remove the clutch, how do I remove the clutch?

RACETECH :

Just one moment please.

RACETECH :

Drain the engine oil. Remove the right side cover from the engine. Remove both clutches remove the parts from the shift rod shaft, reomve the gear shifter and pull the shifter out from the right side..

Customer :

I have the oil drained and the cover off. How is the clutch attached ? I tried to pull it off by hand. Are there screws holding it on? Do I need to use a gear puller?

RACETECH :

No you will need the appropriate puller to pull the clutch off.

RACETECH :

Ill post a diagram for you

RACETECH :

Full Size Image

RACETECH :

Click on the diagram above please

RACETECH :

First remove the four screws that hold the cover part # XXXXX on, then remove parts # XXXXX # XXXXX and # XXXXX

RACETECH :

here is a link to a manual for 5.49$

RACETECH :

Here

RACETECH :

Are you needing anything else ?

Customer :

I got the cover off. I bent the tab that locks the piece that threaded on the shaft. Do I need a special tool to remove this piece or can I use a punch? Is this a right or left hand thread?

RACETECH :

I would buy the tool as you will need to torque this back to specs.

RACETECH :

It should be a 4 prong spanner socket

RACETECH :

Without seeing the threads I cant remember it if it right hand or left hand thread.

Customer :

Where can I get this socket? should I use an impact gun on it?

RACETECH :

I use a impact gun to remove them

RACETECH :

Im looking now

RACETECH :

You can order it here, If I have answered the question please click accept.

Richard, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience: Senior Mechanic & Technician