Richard, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Senior Mechanic & Technician
41497032

Polaris Sportsman 500 ATV I replaced a dying battery with

Polaris '06 Sportsman 500 ATV: I replaced a dying battery (but with some juice left and ATV started only after attaching recharger) with brand new one. New battery is fully charged. ATV is dead, no lights, no crank - no nothing. Any fuses I need to look at?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

RACETECH :

Hello ?

RACETECH :

Welcome to Just Answer where we diagnose, repair and give excellent suggestions. I will be glad to assist you today. I may have a few question's along to the way to find the culprit of the problem, answering them accurately as possible will allow me to give you the best answer to my knowledge. If at anytime I answer the question along the way to find the problem, please click accept. Please leave positive feedback as I will for you. Before leaving negative feedback try to work it out with the expert. Lets get started..

RACETECH :

let me know when you have entered chat and we will start working on the question

Customer :

I am here

RACETECH :

Great, how are you ?

Customer :

Frustrated

Customer :

Did I state my question properly?

RACETECH :

Yes you have

RACETECH :

Just a few more questions to make sure we dont over look anything/

RACETECH :

First question: Do you have a hand held multi-meter ?

RACETECH :

I see your going in and out of chat are you on a cell phone ?

Customer :

multi-meter - is that a device to measure voltage and such?

Customer :

No I am not doing anything else than reading the chat

RACETECH :

Yes it does measure voltage and such

Customer :

What add'l info would you need?

Customer :

Are you there?

RACETECH :

Yep

Customer :

Is there something you need me to do?

RACETECH :

Can you tell me what brand of battery and did it come with acid to install in it ? Looks like a water bottle ?

RACETECH :

How do you know the battery is fully charged ?

RACETECH :

Do you have a meter to read voltage ?

Customer :

I brought the old battery to Farm&Fleet and there they read the label and gave me a new one. Back home I filled the battery with the acid that cam, sealed it and charged it overnight. I let it sit a day and then I used my volt meter to read and it showed 11.8 V

Customer :

After that I put the battery back into the ATV and connected the wires.

RACETECH :

SHHHH, wiping my forehead here.

RACETECH :

That battery is not fully charged at all. You need atleast 12.6 volts. What setting did you set the charger on ?

RACETECH :

Do you know where the starter solenoid is ?

Customer :

As I understand it my charger has a 12V 2 amp and 12V 10 amps charger - I used the 2 Amps. But it also has a "Start" booster setting and I tried that one. There was no movement of anything - no lights either.

Customer :

No, I do not know where the starter solenoid is. But shouldn't there be any kind of dim lights when I turn those on (it does so on my car when the battery is weak).

RACETECH :

Im reading

RACETECH :

Let me type somethings up here for you to look into

RACETECH :

You here ?

Customer :

Yes -I keep getting emails from our conversation = despite us chatting here.

RACETECH :

Under the front cab there is plastic pouches that hold the fuses and circuit breakers. Check and/or replace those.

Customer :

Not sure what the "front cab" is.

RACETECH :

Are you there now with the ATV ?

Customer :

No I have to go to the garage

Customer :

what is the "front cab". Do you have a picture or sketch?

RACETECH :

Stand in front of the ATV. You will see the head light, look right below the head light and that is plastic piece of the body work that needs to be removed to gain access to the fuses or circuit breakers. The plastic piece is abput 8-9 inches wide and is between the left and right fender.

RACETECH :

Dead in the middle of the ATV.

Customer :

Ok. I will go and look. However, I have a front mounted rack, so this may take a while since I assume it's under that.

RACETECH :

I would aslo check the cables and connections at the battery.

RACETECH :

Yes that is correct. That piece of plastic that runs down in the middle of the ATV. It pops offf

Customer :

I am pretty sure the battery is connected firmly. When I took the old battery out, the lights were at least dim. I just let the ATV sit for 3 days in the garage.

Customer :

I will go and check now. How long are you going to be around?

RACETECH :

IM here reading

RACETECH :

For a few hours

Customer :

I am back. No good news.

RACETECH :

Im back

RACETECH :

What is the bad news then

Customer :

Underneath/in front of the light I found 2 chambers (nothing like a pouch).

Customer :

One is for the coolant. The other one is about a 5 x 6 inch box screwed tightly shut. I am not sure what that one is about. I could not open it. A lots of cables in front of it.

Customer :

Oh, and I checked the vltage again. It's 12.96V

RACETECH :

Let me read what you have.

RACETECH :

So is the plastic piec ?e removed now

Customer :

No, I can't remove that. It's screwed on tightly. Nothing to open with your fingers.

RACETECH :

That is where our breakers are or fuses.

RACETECH :

Let me see if I can get a diagram, give me a few minutes. That may aid you in the removal of it. But I recall it just poppping off

RACETECH :

Yes it does pop off from the top first and then the sides and then slide it towards the headlight and pull it out. But let me check

RACETECH :

Give me another minute or 2

RACETECH :

Look inside the tool box

RACETECH :

Remove the access panel that you see inside the tool box

Customer :

Tool box - where is that one? Front or back?

RACETECH :

ON front

Customer :

Inside my front rack is a panel. But that one has the radiator cap - no fuses or such.

RACETECH :

Let me look

RACETECH :

close the tool box

Customer :

OK

RACETECH :

look right above the tool box and remove that cover. There are 2 sealed pouches in there

RACETECH :

That contain the circuit breakers

Customer :

When you say pouches: are they "soft" pouches?

RACETECH :

Yes

RACETECH :

You see them

Customer :

There are no soft pouches in there.

RACETECH :

Do you see any fuses ?

RACETECH :

Do you see a circuit breaker that has 2 poles on it

RACETECH :

Do you see the black box inside there, the ecu ?

Customer :

No, I don't see fuses (yet). I don't see pouches, and I am not sure I should open the hard cover box I see. What do you think?

Customer :

Let me get some numbers of the box I am talking about and maybe you can tell me what I see/what it is.

RACETECH :

Standing in front of the ATV

RACETECH :

look between the headlight and tool box. that is the cover that needs to be removed

Customer :

Do you know where the circuit breaker is?

RACETECH :

Yes

Customer :

Where?

RACETECH :

Do you see the ECU ?

RACETECH :

The computer box that is black ?

Customer :

Not sure - What does ECU stand for?

RACETECH :

the piece that was just removed the plastic piece, do you see a square computer box in there that is black ?

Customer :

Hold on I need more light.

Customer :

and a different screwdriver

RACETECH :

Dont unbolt the black box but do you see it ?

RACETECH :

I have just found out that the circuit breakers in that unit are now actually inside of the ECM and cannot be replaced how ever I do see a recall on those. If you can provide the VIN numer of the ATV I can check it for you.

RACETECH :

Have you disconnected the battery for a few seconds and then reconnected it ?

RACETECH :

Hello ?

RACETECH :

This is the recalls on the ECMs

RACETECH :

2006 SPRTSMN 500 A06MH50AA
2006 SPRTSMN 500 A06MH50AB
2006 SPRTSMN 500 A06MH50AD
2006 SPRTSMN 500 A06MH50AF

Customer :

Howdy

RACETECH :

yep

Customer :

Yes I see the black box and tried to unbolt it -tough cookie.

Customer :

No pouch and that black box can't be opened.

Customer :

I got some numbers off it - would that help?

RACETECH :

Do you have your vin number, I can see if you have the recall on the ecm

Customer :

What is the ECM? WHere do I find the VIN?

RACETECH :

The vin is on the lower left hand of the frame and is 17 digits

RACETECH :

Between the tire and teh floor board on the lower frame

RACETECH :

Is this unit fuel injected or carb model ?

Customer :

The decal says 500 H.O.

RACETECH :

Did you find the vin number

Customer :

Since I will go and look for the VIN - could you tell me where the circuit breaker is?

RACETECH :

Inside the ECM

RACETECH :

I have a few things we can try

RACETECH :

Disconnect the battery for 5 minutes and reconnect it while your looking for the vin

Customer :

So, I thought the circuit breaker is something I can reset.

RACETECH :

On some models of Polaris they use to be in the pouches and now everything is inside the ECM . You may get a free ECM according to the recall if you find the vin number

RACETECH :

Hello ?

Customer :

yes

Customer :

the vin is stamped on and somewhat rusty but I think I have something

Customer :

1XAMH50A26...

Customer :

I also disconnected the battery (the black "-" wire)

RACETECH :

Let me see what I can make out of that one

RACETECH :

Youll need the rest of the vin number

Customer :

after that (the letter/numbers from above) it gets fuzzy: next is 8 or B and then "704107". But the 0s could be Ds and the 4 could be an A

RACETECH :

Let me check

RACETECH :

Good news here

RACETECH :

Are you the original owner of the ATV ?

Customer :

No, I bought it used from a Polaris dealer

RACETECH :

How long ago ?

Customer :

Spring of 2009

RACETECH :

The ECM may have already been recalled

RACETECH :

I meant to say the ECM may have already been replaced, but Ill check

RACETECH :

The first number of teh vin will be A06MH

Customer :

Are you talking about the number on the box beneath the headlight?

RACETECH :

IM tring to work with this vin you have provided

RACETECH :

No on the frame

RACETECH :

What is the number on the box belwo the head light ?

Customer :

There are several. The biggest one is "4011561 Rev A"

RACETECH :

ok

Customer :

A06MH is a MODEL number - not the VIN

RACETECH :

That is what I was looking for . Did you find it ?

Customer :

Model # XXXXX need to go and look. What should I do with the battery now? It was disconnected for a while.

RACETECH :

Reconnect it and turn the ignition switch to on and then off then on and then cycle the run/stop switch and then igntion off and then on, Now see if there any lights or anything.

RACETECH :

By the way the part you found was the voltage regulator

RACETECH :

The box like # XXXXX in the image you see here. What numbers are on it ?

RACETECH :

Full Size Image

RACETECH : (NNN) NNN-NNNNor(NNN) NNN-NNNNwill be on the ECM
Customer :

I will try the switch cycling now. But the numbers you gave (8360026 or(NNN) NNN-NNNN are not on the box that I learned to be the ECM.

RACETECH :

What numbers are ?

Customer :

Where is that box #13 supposed to be? This is not what I see in front of /underneath the headlight.

RACETECH :

I have 2 more things to try and hopefully they work.

RACETECH :

It should be right in front of the headlight where you saw the other part mounted on the plate there.

RACETECH :

I would like to see one more thing done here and see what we get, I don't have my wiring diagrams here at home, I have them at the shop. We may have to continue this tomorrow with your meter. But hopefully not.

RACETECH :

Have you treid to start it with the pull start ?

Customer :

Honestly, I didn't know I have a pull-start. Where is that one?

RACETECH :

On the right side of the ATV sitting on it. I figured you tried that.

Customer :

No I have not. I take it the battery needs to be connected.

RACETECH :

Yea have you not reconnected the battery yet ?

RACETECH :

I would also like for you to trace the red wire off the battery and find the starter relay.

RACETECH :

After you find the starter realy we will jump it to make sure things are working.

Customer :

What does the starter relay look like? I will, I was just waiting if you have more suggestions. So hold on a few mins, I will try all those things now.

RACETECH :

Hold on

RACETECH :

On the diagram look at aprt # XXXXX it has a wire going to it. That is the red wire from the battery.

RACETECH :

That part should have 2 post on it. Use a screwdriver and jump the post together. It will spark a little bit but dont worry. It will do no harm. This is with the key on. And tell me if it starts or turns over

RACETECH :

Let me know

Customer :

I tried the pull starter - no luck. There is just no juice whatsoever. When I turn the key, the dashboard used to light up (with the old battery in) - nothing.

Customer :

So, where do I find that part #26? Is that the ignition switch?

RACETECH :

No that is the starter relay.

RACETECH :

Trace the red wire from the battery positive side

RACETECH :

That will be the starter relay.

Customer :

How far from the battery should I find it?

RACETECH :

I have a feeling you have fried that ECM when you connected the charger and jumped it off.

RACETECH :

Trace the red wire. Youll see it

Customer :

What does that mean "connected the charger and jumped it off"?

RACETECH :

There may even be a fuse on it.

RACETECH :

Didnt you say you had a dead battery and you jumped it off with a charger or something ?

Customer :

Let's hope there is a fuse on it. That's a thing I can deal with.

RACETECH :

LOL

Customer :

Yes, I charged and jumped it, but it ran and started for a few days. Then I let the ATV stand for a few days and then the battery was bad again (just enough to light up the dashboard).

Customer :

So, I am going to look for the starter relay (with a fuse)

RACETECH :

Yes there will be a blue wire coming off of the starter relay. A small wire usually will burn into.

RACETECH :

This time if you dont succeed get your voltage meter out and we will make some simple test here.

RACETECH :

What did you find ?

RACETECH :

Hello

Customer :

I found the starter relay (I think). But that one is mounted and hidden in a way that god does not want ME to mess with it.

Customer :

It's 11:30 here and I need to turn in since we have a long drive tomorrow. I appreciate your help, I learned a lot about MY ATV, and in the spirit of the holidays I will accept the charges since you stuck with me. Thanks and have a good Thanksgiving.

Richard, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience: Senior Mechanic & Technician