Richard, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Senior Mechanic & Technician

2007 Honda: 4X4..It does go into reverse, neutral or drive..steering

I have a 2007 Honda Rubicon 4X4, it will not change gears. It does go into reverse, neutral or drive, but it will not automatically change up out of Low gear when I take off. The digital readout on the steering gages reads ESP D1 D2 and flashes. It normally shows D for Drive or R for Reverse. I moved the selector on the side of the steering column to ESP - no difference, then to D2 - no difference and also tried D1 with no difference, just keeps flashing ESP D1 D2. I'm open for any help that can be provided at this point.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

RACETECH :

Hello ?

RACETECH :

Welcome to Just Answer where we diagnose, repair and give excellent suggestions. I will be glad to assist you today. I may have a few question's along to the way to find the culprit of the problem, answering them accurately as possible will allow me to give you the best answer to my knowledge. If at anytime I answer the question along the way to find the problem, please click accept. Please leave positive feedback as I will for you. Before leaving negative feedback try to work it out with the expert. Lets get started..? Fair enough ?

RACETECH :

Let me know when your here in chat........

RACETECH :

I'll give you instructions, you follow then and we will see what you get.

Customer:

I'm here.

RACETECH :

OK great.

RACETECH :

We know the problem is there , now can you tell me if the ATV has been sitting for quite sometime, wether just not ridden or put for the season ? Tell me all you can of when the problem started and we can speed up the process.

Customer:

I rode it the end of October and it has been setting for a couple of weeks. It worked just fine when I parked it in the garage. I got on it yesterday and drove out of the shop and it wouldn't automatically change gears, it just stayed in low gear. It will go into drive and reverse and works fine, it goes into neutral and works fine.

RACETECH :

Have you checked all the fuses and the battery voltage ? Have you tried to read the codes it is flashing ?

Customer:

Oh, the digital readout that normally shows "D" for when it is in Drive and "R" for when it is in Reverse is Flashing "ESP, D1, D2"

RACETECH :

Before I have you reset or pull codes from the computer, lets get some readings from the battery. Do you have a handheld voltage meter ?

RACETECH :

multi-meter ?

Customer:

Pretend you are talking to kid, because that is what I feel like with this issue. I've only had the Honda for about 4 months. I don't have voltage meter. The battery is strong, it fires right up and the lights are very bright. See... :O) I told you to pretend you are talking to a kid.

RACETECH :

LOL. I will carry you through it.

Customer:

I'm a parts changing fool, you think you know what it is and tell me where it is located, I can change it. You know, knuckle dragging stuff...I'm your man.

RACETECH :

Give me about 10 minutes or so while I load up some notes here. IN the mean time, disconnect the battery cables and check the fuses under the seat. Disconnect the battery for 15 minutes and then reconnect and lets see what you get.

Customer:

Okay....I'll be back in a few, it's in the garage - Detached from the home. OH, if I loose internet connection how do I get back into touch with you?

RACETECH :

Check your email and log back in here.

RACETECH :

Let me know if the battery cables reconnected works

Customer:

Okay, the battery is disconnected...been about 4 or 5 minutes as of right now.

RACETECH :

The next procedure Im typing up now.

Customer:

I just remembered....before I put in the garage last time I rode it, I washed it off good with the garden hose. But it worked just fine afterwards because I rode it into the garage. It's a really nice 4 wheeler, I really love it.

RACETECH :

That shouldn't cause this issue unless you fried the computer ECU

Customer:

HOLY CRAP? That shounds expensive and serious! :O(

RACETECH :

Nah, we should be able to work around it here. I have part of the instructions now. First reconnect those cables right quick. Then follow this procedure here.

Customer:

Heading out to reconnect the battery....be right back.

RACETECH :

The gear position blinks in Indicator Mode 2 when the initial setting was not made properly. Repeat the procedure from step 2.
1. Start the engine and let it idle about one minute with the sub-transmission in neutral. Stop the engine.
2. Make sure the gearshift lever is in the neutral position (be sure the neutral indicator comes on) and turn the ignition switch off.
3. Turn the ignition switch ON while pushing the UP and DOWN shift switches (ESP shift switches) simultaneously.
4. Release both the UP and DOWN shift switches immediately, then push and release the shift switches in the order of UP, DOWN, and UP. Do not hold the switches in).
5. A constant “ - - “ indication stays ON on the gear selector indicator. (If the gear position indicator shows a continuous “N”, repeat the procedure from step 2.)
6. Move the throttle lever to the fully closed position, then to the fully open position, and then move it to the fully closed position again immediately (within 10 seconds) after “ - - “ comes ON on the gear position indicator.
7. Check the control motor operation sound (the control motor should function at this time to adjust the angle sensor).
8. When the initial setting procedure is complete, the indication on the gear selector indicator changes from the continuous lighting of “ - - “ to the continuous lighting of “N”.

RACETECH :

Let me know what you get

Customer:

ok, be right back...I just printed the instructions.

RACETECH :

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX run you so much.

RACETECH :

What did you find ?

RACETECH :

Let me know when your back please ?

Customer:

Ok....Steps worked up until "8", the "--" kept blinking and never went to "N" at the end. now what?

RACETECH :

OK, let me look over some notes. Have you tried to ride it yet ?

Customer:

no but I did try putting into a gear to see if the selected gear would show up on the instrument panel, it didn't so I didn't move it. Do you want me to try riding it and see if the gears work?

RACETECH :

First did you hear the motor reset ?

Customer:

yes.

RACETECH :

Great. So everything has changed now right ?

RACETECH :

Go ride it and let me know what happens, please return and let me know what happens. Take this next sheet with you just in case it doesn't work.

Customer:

meaning what exactly? it still has a "--" and ESP D1 D2 Flashing when I turn it on.

RACETECH :

Rubicon Hondamatic Code Retrieval :
1. Put the gear shift lever in neutral (be sure the neutral indicator comes on) and the ignition switch OFF (vehicle at a stop).
2. While pushing the UP and DOWN shift switches (ESP) simultaneously, turn the ignition key to the on position.
3. Release the UP and DOWN switches immediately, then at the same time push both the UP and DOWN shift switches again and hold form more than 2 seconds.
4. The problem code is displayed by a certain number of blinks “ - - “ on the gear indicator, which indicates the problem code by the number of blinks. If “N” (neutral) stays ON on the position indicator, the retrieval process was not correctly performed. Repeat the procedures from step one at this time.)
5. When the problem code(s) displays, release the shift switches.

You should see “ - - “ for approximately 3 seconds then off, then the “ - - “ should flash, once for code one, twice for code two and so on. The engine control module (ECM) can store two different codes. If your ECM has stored two different codes, the first code displayed is the most recent and the second code is the earlier code. Write them down.

RACETECH :

Do the above then.

RACETECH :

The once you get the codes I want you to do the following and then rest the ECM again.

RACETECH :

To Erase the Problem Codes: Make sure you record the codes first.
1. Push and hold the UP and DOWN shift switches simultaneously for 3 seconds of more while the problem code is being displayed (i.e., “ - - “ blinking on the gear position indicator).
2. When the erasure is completed, the blinking pattern changes to the erasure confirmation blink.
3. Turn the ignition off.

RACETECH :

The followed by the first procedure you done to reset the computer.

RACETECH :

Then let me know the codes and if the unit still flashes.

Customer:

ok....printed and will be back in a moment.

RACETECH :

OK

Customer:

it flashes 4 times.

RACETECH :

Give me one second here. Did you try to erase the code ?

RACETECH :

and then see if it was still present again ?

Customer:

yes, I believe it worked.

RACETECH :

Great, can you verify if it did or not and then please click accept if it did.

RACETECH :

So I can be credited for the question.

Customer:

it worked means that the codes are erased.

Customer:

what does the 4 flashes indicate on the codes?

RACETECH :

Throttle sensor, more than likely a temporary code.

RACETECH :

Now is the unit still flashing or doing anything crazy ?

Customer:

ok, i'll see if it is still flashing and then see if it will change gears while driving it...be right back in a couple of seconds.

RACETECH :

OK, let me know. And see if that code is still present or another one

RACETECH :

Thats if it dont drive or whatever.

RACETECH :

go for it

Customer:

ok, it still doesn't change gears and the code is flashing 4 times again.

RACETECH :

OK, give me a second while I investigate that

Customer:

just so i'm sure we are on the same page with the code, this is what I'm seeing.... "--" ESP D1D2 comes on holds for a second or two, then blinks 4 times.

RACETECH :

Give me just a second here. What gear slection are you in ? Neutral ?

Customer:

yes...neutral, and the selector is in ESP.

Customer:

well, i tried it in D2 and D1 and it was the same

RACETECH :

ok

RACETECH :

Do you show an N on the display ?

Customer:

no

RACETECH :

OK, I have a little more detail here. Go back to the ATV turn the gintion switch on and tell me if the 4wd indicator on the left hand of the meter blinks 4 times within 30 seconds.

Customer:

ok, be right back.

Customer:

ok...here is what I see. The 4wd indicator is not on, and "N" is on the display, however, if I start it up the "N" disappears and goes straight to "--" ESP D1D2.

RACETECH :

ok give me a moment while I look at some more of my notes here

RACETECH :

About there

RACETECH :

Do you know what the carburetor or thorttle position switch is ?

Customer:

I know what a carburetor is but not sure where the throttle position switch is or where it is located....but if you explain it and where it is I will find it.

RACETECH :

Onside of the carburetor there is a electronic piece, sort of round in shape. Ill post a diagram below. Unplug the connector and then plug it back in and lets see what you get.

RACETECH :

Rubicon Throttle Position Sensor
Full Size Image

Customer:

ok...pictures are Great! :O) going out to disconnect it and I will be right back.

RACETECH :

reconnect it right back

RACETECH :

Disconnect it and then reconnect it.

RACETECH :

The erase the code and the see if the code exist and then do the reset again.

RACETECH :

The measure for resistance at the igntion switch on the black wire to the black wire at the engine stop switch. This is all done with the key on.

RACETECH :

Do the head lights dim and brighten ?

RACETECH :

Try moving the headlight switch to different positions.

RACETECH :

Sorry those last post werent for you the last 3

RACETECH :

Disregard messages 7:35 - 7:38

Customer:

oh...ok, i just got back from disconnecting the throttle position switch.

RACETECH :

Did you reconnect it and reset the code and then reset the ECM and then see if the code is back again ?

Customer:

heading back out....reconnecting throttle switch, gonna run thru all of the steps you sent me earlier....be back in a few.

RACETECH :

ok

RACETECH :

You here ?

Customer:

ok...did it all and it is still doing the same things.

RACETECH :

Let me look at some things here

Customer:

ok

RACETECH :

When you had counted the flashes, did you count the number of times that you saw (- -) or something else ?

Customer:

(--) pops up immediately, holds for a couple of seconds then flashes 4 times.

RACETECH :

The how many flashes after that ?

Customer:

it stays on for another couple of seconds and then flashes again 4 times. repeats over and over.

RACETECH :

OK, do you have a walmartt or parts store near by ? If so you can pick up a multi-meter for around 30.00$ to test the sensor with. Maybe even cheaper than that.

Customer:

what sensor?

RACETECH :

The sensor you unplugged. Either the sensor is faulty or the battery in the ATV or the computer in the ATV. I have helped you all I can until you get a meter.

RACETECH :

Do you plan on getting a meter ?

Customer:

oh, okay...the throttle switch is the sensor you are talking about.

RACETECH :

Yes

Customer:

any paticular wire that I need to check, or do I check each wire?

RACETECH :

I can send you the instructions. Ill upload them now

Customer:

so this sensor will affect the ATV from automaticaly changin gears if it is bad?

RACETECH :

Yes it will. But may I ask you that when riding the ATV, when you max it out in that gear. Will it start skipping ?

Customer:

nope, just keeps going but never changes gears. however, it does spit and sputter when I put it in reverse and back up.

RACETECH :

The code is there and will effect everything on the ATV. Im getting you the documents now

RACETECH :

There uploading now

RACETECH :

As you can see in there instructions if the TPS isn't the fault then the ECU will need to be replaced. But like I said before make sure there is 12.6 volts on the battery.

RACETECH :

I have another page I would like you to see

Customer:

ok, I will get a multi-meter in the morning. I live out in the country 30 miles from town. I really appreciate your help. send me the other page you want me to see and I will print it off also.

RACETECH :

It's ok on the page I was thinking of. You dont need it.

Customer:

ok, well thanks for you help.

RACETECH :

Yep, you have a nice holiday.

Customer:

will do, you also!

Richard, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience: Senior Mechanic & Technician