Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

Arctic Cat..I have a carburetor problem and am looking someone

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Arctic Cat 4 x 4 atv. I have a carburetor problem and am looking someone with some experience in that area.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Jeff Policky replied 3 years ago.

was the float hight checked? you can check it still on the unit by putting a clear tube on the bottom of the float bowl drain nipple and open the drain screw with the hose next to the carb it should come up to the separation of the float bowl and carb body.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Dose it overflow when the unit is off or only when it is running?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Jeff, I originally removed the carb because it had a slight drip. I always turn off the fuel valve when not in use anyway, so i don't know if it was leaking all of the time or not.

After I put the new needle in, the gas was pouring out. I had not tampered with the float level. I adjusted it a slight amount and it continued to pour out. Since I did not hear back from anyone yesterday I went ahead and adjusted the tab more extremely, and the fuel stopped coming out. I started it up and it ran fine. However, when I took it on a trial run, going downhill it quit and would not restart. Now I assume I adjusted it too much, perhaps it is starved for fuel going downhill. I plan to work on it tomorrow and will pick up a clear plastic tube and try your suggestion. Kindly wait a day or two for me to try your suggestion and I will then "accept answer" so you can get paid.

thanks again.
sure not a problem let me know how it works when you get a chance
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Jeff,
Sorry to take so long to get back to u, have been busy. Tks for the picture, I could not reconcile it with my ATV's carb. I assume that may not be important as the pictured carb can still illustrate the point.
However, since my carb does not sit level, where do i put the fuel level at, front, rear, middle? I have looked it over and apparently that is the way this carb sits. It is not physically bolted to the intake, as it is held only by the large connecting hose between carb and intake in front and the large hose connecting it to the air intake in the rear. comments plz

I under stand being busy so not a problem.

try jack up the front or rear of the unit to get the carb some what level

Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience: Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your patience. I did not need to use your suggestion as my previous float adjustment seemed to work out fine.
Part of my trouble was that I had added an inline fuel filter from Napa, that for some reason would not fill completely up, even though the filter is lower than the tank. I don't quite understand why, as it would partially fill and leave a lot of air space. I replaced it with my original old fuel line without the filter and it ran fine. It really should have some kind of fuel filter between the tank and the carb. Otherwise the float needle valve is vulnerable to getting stuck open. If you would care to comment please do.
thanks.
I agree about the fuel filter is needed. I like using the Polaris red and white in line fuel filter as they work better and are not affect by the fuel like the clear ones are.