TIMOTO
TIMOTO, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Honda registered technician, silver level award, former Kawasaki/Suzuki tech, 40+ years exp.
8313095

I am having a problem with my Kawasaki Bayou 220s electric

I am having a problem with my Kawasaki Bayou 220's electric starter. When we push the electric start button, we get nothing. The neutral light is on and the battery is good. I have replaced the solenoid and can start it by jumping it from the solenoid with a screw driver. The fuse is fine. All lights seem to work fine. Any ideas?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  TIMOTO replied 4 years ago.

TIMOTO :

Hello ja customer,

TIMOTO :

It sounds like the starter solenoid is not getting battery power when the start button is pushed. Use a test light or multimeter to test for battery power to the small gauge wires of the starter solenoid when the start button is pressed. If there is no power then you will need to backtrace the wiring to locate the problem which is most likely in the start button.

TIMOTO, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience: Honda registered technician, silver level award, former Kawasaki/Suzuki tech, 40+ years exp.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The starter button seems to work fine. I get power to the switch when it is not pressed. When the button is pressed, it completes the the flow which I guess would go back to the solenoid. At the solenoid, there is one small wire that stays hot all the time and two that do not seem to be anything more than grounds. Is that correct? Does the relay that is close to the solenoid affect this in any way?
Expert:  TIMOTO replied 4 years ago.
The black wire at the starter solenoid must have battery power when the start button is pressed. If not locate the starter relay near the battery. It is inside a black rubber shield at the bottom of the electrical wiring area. Wire colors of the connector are brown, light green, black and black. You should hear and feel the relay click when the start button is pressed. If not check each wire: brown - power with ignition on, light green -continuity to ground with the transmission in neutral, black from start button -power with ignition on, black from starter solenoid -power when start button is pressed.