....
...., ....
Experience:  ............
4419077

I let go of the throttle it will stall..carb..low speed

I have a Polaris Sportsman 500 that will not idle it will start and run but as soon as I let go of the throttle it will stall. I took the carb apart and found the low speed jet was clogged. I cleaned it and reinstalled the carb but it will still not idle. Any suggestions

Brian :

Good day and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to help you with your problem today.

Brian :

Was the pilot jet the only thing that you cleaned?

Customer :

Yes

Customer :

It was the only thing that I could find wrong

But that is only about 5% of a carb service. You need to go through the entire carb. It needs completely disassembled, soaked in cleaner & blown out. Your pilot jet is only one part of the carb circuitry. Since you left the fuel mixture screw in, that passage is full of the same crud as the pilot jet & preventing fuel from flowing properly through the carb.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
That deposit on the jet was a hard deposit and really caked on, will the carb cleaner dissolve any stubborn crud if left long enough in those small passages.
Yes, use Yamaha carb cleaner. You mix it with hot water & heat on a hot plate. It works very, very well. I also often use lacquer thinner for brass & steel parts, it'll re-new jets completely. Because of the size of that pilot jet your carb could really use 2-3 services a year in order to stay running well. More if it is used little. When the pilot jet closes off like that it creates a lean condition that only gets worse. I also recommend checking valve clearances. Let me know if you need any additional information.