Doug E.
Doug E., Kawasaki Master Technician
Experience:  Professional motorcycle mechanic since 1978. Vintage motorcycle restorer.
7400257

Wont start..the solinoid click but the starters not cranking..volts

My sons 110cc four wheeler wont start. I can hear the solinoid click but the starters not cranking. Battery reads 12.3 volts. The only thing I seen disconnected was this diode looking thing on the very back top center of the chassi. I resoldered it back on but no help. I followed it back to a fuse holder and it was good. I have no idea what this diode lookin thing is,may be the remote start switch? Can anyone help me out please

What make do you have ?

Thanks

Kenny

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Chinese 4 stroke, Honda clone

Sorry I have no manuals on that, I will opt out maybe another expert does.

Kenny

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks anyway

On the solenoid you will have a power wire from the battery and a wire going to the starter. Connect your volt meter to the battery side of the solenoid. You should show battery voltage. Now connect your meter to the starter side of the solenoid and push the button. What if any is your voltage reading?

If the solenoid is clicking but no voltage is passing from one side to the other, the solenoid is faulty. If full voltage is passing from one side to the other but the starter isn't turning, then the starter is faulty. Check that and let me know what you find.

There are many different companies using this same motor and some use alarm systems or remote kill switches. I may not have the exact diagram you need if your machine has either one of those.

Here is one example of the wiring used.

http://www.moto-forge.com/answer/GYWiring.jpg

Doug

Edited by Kawasaki Doug on 9/17/2010 at 12:12 AM EST
Doug E., Kawasaki Master Technician
Experience: Professional motorcycle mechanic since 1978. Vintage motorcycle restorer.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'll check that and get back ASAP.
Sounds good

Doug
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
That solinoid must be bad. I put the lead on the starter side and it tried to start. I then took it off and nothing. I put it back on and nothing. I accept your answer and thanks abunch.
If you have any more questions just let me know.

You can get the solenoid online if you don't have a local dealer.

Doug