Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

How do I change the starter solenoid on my Polaris 400 Sportsman

Customer Question

How do I change the starter solenoid on my Polaris 400 Sportsman 4 sheeler?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Jeff Policky replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Jeff Policky :

Remove the negative cable from the battery and then the two cables on the starter solenoid #11 and disconnect the two wire connectors from the solenoid. Remove the two hold down bolts #1 then the solenoid will come out reverse the process to install the solenoid.

Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-ytkrq6f1- :

What do I have to remove to reach the solinoid?

Jeff Policky :

Please explain more of what info you need, as I want to help you complete this job

Jeff Policky :

JACUSTOMER-ytkrq6f1- :

What do I have to remave to reach the solinoid?

JACUSTOMER-ytkrq6f1- :

It seems to me that I have to remove some body parts to reach the solinoid. Could you elaborate as how tho do this?

Jeff Policky :

the battery is attached to the lower part of the frame in front of the motor on your unit correct?

JACUSTOMER-ytkrq6f1- :

Yes, but the solinoid is up under the front of the body and I don't see how to reach it without removing something.

Jeff Policky :

Did you try rtemoving the side panel #3

Full Size Image

Jeff Policky :

If not the battery will need to be removed and worked from the bottom of the unit up to get to the solenoid. Or the front cab will need to be removed to get to it I would opt for the battery removal. They both are not fun to do.