Richard, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Senior Mechanic & Technician
41497032

2004 Honda: rancher..es..quad..the manual shifter turn the key

I have a 2004 Honda trx350fm, its the rancher es model. Part of the time the electric shift works just fine then out of nowhere it starts blinking a code(3 and sometimes 8) and I have to stop, shut the quad off mess with the manual shifter turn the key on and off several times then it well work again, very sporadic. It seems to be doing it more when hot. I think the code is saying something about the shift angle sensor. I live 350 miles from the nearest dealer and hope to get some insight on it. I bought it with 600 miles on it so I don't think it was abused very hard, i know the previous owners and it seemed like a garage machine. I'm going to try and adjust the clutch and see if that helps at all, after that any ideas would be great
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Richard G. :

Welcome to JustAnswer, my name isXXXXX am I speaking with ?

Richard G. :

DONT TOUCH THAT CLUTCH

Richard G. :

I dont know what is wrong with Honda, but the angle sensors are a big problem.

Richard G. :

Ill need some test performed

Richard G. :

What is the DC voltage across the battery terminals ?

Richard G. :

What is the DC voltage across the battery trminal while running ?

Richard G. :

What is the DC voltage across the battery terminals while pressing the start button for more than 15 seconds ?

Richard G. :

Next do you have a manual ? If not thats ok, Ill still run you through the teest.

Customer :

I believe the voltage was 11.94 with just the key on, running was just over 12, I'll have to get the other numbers once I get home, it cranks over great and starts easily

Richard G. :

DC voltage with the bike at 2500-3000 RPMS.

Customer :

I found a manual online and saw the tests for the angle sensor, was going to try those next, I will also check the voltage at your specified rpms

Richard G. :

These Honda systems like to see 13 or more volts. But Ive seen them work off of 12.6 volts, nothing less though.

Richard G. :

I do how ever see a thousand and one angle sensors go bad or just need cleaning.

Customer :

Ok I will check these numbers out, how do you clean the angle sensor? just cleaning the terminal or actually removing the unit and cleaning?

Richard G. :

Dont damage it when taking it out. Do you need the test procedures for the sensor.

Customer :

probably I don't have a service manual and live about 6 hours from the nearest shop here in Alaska

Customer :

I'll be getting one soon enough though

Richard G. :

Yes that is correct. Youll have to remove it any way to check the resistance values of the terminals. I believe it is midle prong to right prong and turning clockwise should increase OHMS and vice versa.

Richard G. :

I can gibe you the values if you have time.

Richard G. :

I keep this manual beside my desk.

Customer :

Ok great I'll try that when i get home, I've got about 20 minutes before I'm off work

Richard G. :

With the shaft hole up. Measure resistance values by probing the middle and right terminal.

Richard G. :

The resistance values should increase one direction and decrease the other direction when you rotate the shaft hole.

Richard G. :

Its located on the front of the engine.

Richard G. :

Right by the shuft motor.

Customer :

Ok great I will give that a try and will be back on here in the morning. Thanks for your time..

Customer :

or possibly this evening

Richard G. :

Remeber make sure the battery has the right voltage.

Richard G. :

Put it on charge first.

Customer :

I will do that also, i've got my multi-meter in hand

Customer :

thanks again

Richard G. :

Would you need anything else ? Wanna test that first and then let me knowbefore you accept ?

Customer :

I'll test that first and should be back on here in a little while, if that works for you

Richard G. :

OH DEFINITLY. I like to see things working with my diagnostics.

Richard G. :

Please try to get back with me soon as you get home.

Customer :

I'll do that, will probably take a couple to pull the sensor out and mess with it but I'll log on tonight

Richard G. :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX here.

Customer :

Ok so i tested the battery again and it was reading 12.64 or so not running with the key on, it then read 14.43 or so while at an idle, when revved to 2500-3000 rpm it dropped only slightly to about 14.05 or so, I take it that is working all good charging system and battery at least. Next I removed the shift angle sensor and tested the middle and right terminal it read 5.23 or so on one side and upwards of 238.2 or so on the other, inbetween it was very sporadic numbers, it didn't gradually increase or decrease it kinda bounced all over but stayed in the lower 3.1 or so, kinda wierd. I also read online that there was a recall on all of the shift angle sensors that say made in mexico becuase they were all defective, i don't know if there is any truth to that or not but this is one of those. I will check on this tomorrow morning, Thanks again.

Richard G. :

I dont know where they were made, but yes they have had a lot of problems out of the angle sensor. They use to have problems out of the 2001 model regarding the ECU and angle sensor. I figured out how to get rod of it all and never use the ECU again. You should only test the middle and right terminal and it should slowy increase and then slowly decrease. I would replace the angle sensor and move on. Also make sure the contact in the switch buttons are clean and showing continuity when pressed evrytime.

Customer :

Thanks for your time and info, I really hope that the angle sensor is the problem. At least we diagnosed a few things and narrowed it down to that, for the time being.

Richard, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience: Senior Mechanic & Technician