Richard, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Senior Mechanic & Technician
41497032

His kids Shineray 107cc 2006 ATV that wont start..spark plug..crank

A friend of mine ask me to look at his kids Shineray 107cc 2006 ATV that wont start. I removed the spark plug and ran a ground wire to the base of the plug to the battery -. When I crank it I get no spark. I removed the cam-crank cover and inspected the crank sensor, looked ok. I back pluged the sensor wire and check it with my VOM while chanking the engine and there is a pluse coming from the sensor. I check the positive wire going to the coil in the same fashion, it also has a pluse while cranking. I put my lead on the spark plug electrode and I'm also getting a pluse while the engine chanks. I have ordered a new CDI unit off the internet but have a feeling this wont fix it. I need a pin out of the CDI plug as I suspect the CDI is not getting a signal telling it to fire the system. Also I did read that on other systems the CDI unit needs 10.6 volts and I only have 10 volts while its chanking. I suspected that the battery didn't have enough cranking volts. I talked to the owner and he said that it has run with the new battery in it. I have charged the battery with a trickle charger for ~6 hours. The kill switch stops the engine from cranking when turned on. I would love to get some input as to what I should see for voltages on the back side of the 5 pin plug at the CDI unit. I checked the green ground wire, I got good continuity.
Chat Conversation Started
Richard G. :

Are you getting spark to the plug ?

Richard G. :

Is this ATV carburetour ?

Richard G. :

Are you not getting fuel to the plug ?

Richard G. :

Is the air clean ?

Richard G. :

Are you grounding the plug to the cylinder head and seeing a flat blue spark ?

Richard G. :

Make sure the sparkplug isnt blackon the end.

Richard G. :

If all the above are true then you have carburetour issues.

Customer:

Richard G.

Customer:

Did you read my question? I told you I'm not getting spark. Who cares if its carbed, fuel to the plug, clean air. I told you in my question that I'm grounding my plug back to the - on the battery. The plug is new. Carburetour issues, please, I DON'T HAVE SPARK!

Richard G. :

Do you have an ohms/voltage meter to test the pick up coil and ignition coil ?

Richard G. :

Ill need you to identify the wires coming from the stator cover should be 2 or 3 sets of plugs. ( I need color of wires per plug )

Richard G. :

Ill also need the color of wires going to the ignition coil ( there usually 2 on there , Black, black/yellow and black/white you should only have 2 of the 3 colors.)

Richard G. :

1. Disconnect the pickup coil assembly from the ignition system (e.g. the CDI unit or engine control module)

2. Identify the coil's electrical contacts on the connector

3. Measure the electrical resistance between the coil's contacts with an Ohmmeter or digital volt meter.

Take care not to grab both leads of your ohmmeter with your fingers while measuring this value or you'll measure your body's resistance in parallel with the coil. It's not dangerous but it might corrupt your reading.

The value for working part will vary by manufacturer and model, but will typically be between 100 ohms and 350 ohms.

If the coil reads as an "open circuit", or the resistance in the high 10's of k-ohms or higher, your coil is damaged and likely non-functional

Richard G. :

That test is for the pick up coil.

Richard G. :

nd no resistance between the 2 wires and ground o the pickup/pulse coil

Customer:

Richard G.

Customer:

Have you read my question? I told you in my question that I have a VOM and that I am testing voltages and resistance. I'm wondering if you and I are on the same page.

Customer:

I will test the coil as you suguest.

Customer:

Please read my question, I need the information on the 5 pin connector to the CDI unit.

Richard G. :

Youll not be able to test the CDI, the ground for the kill system. the pulse/trigger coil and ignition coil need to be tested. If all the above are within specs or found good. Then the CDI would need to be replaced. And another thing I would try is disconnecting the ground wire running to the ignition coil and retest for spark. If your still needing voltages instead of diagnostics Ill opt out and let someone else help you.

Richard G. :

Another thing. Does the unit have tether kill switches ?

Richard G. :

Or any safety switches ?

Richard G. :

The most likely problems on these are the ignition coil and CDI. I do not see a lot of trigger/pulse coils go.

Richard G. :

Did the ignition coil test good ?

Richard G. :

Did the pulse/trigger coil test ok ?

Richard G. :

Removve the ground wire from the ATV and try to start it checking for spark, no spark still replace the CDI.

Richard G. :

You should have a red/black wire at the CDI running to the ignition coil.