Richard, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Senior Mechanic & Technician
41497032

I have 2006 polaris sportsman 500 Ho. hot light flashes when

I have 2006 polaris sportsman 500 Ho. hot light flashes when key is turned on.
cooling fan tested ok. is this a temperature senser or electrical relay?
Chat Conversation Started
Richard G. :

When did you notice the problem. ( Riding conditions ? )

Richard G. :

Is the radiator full on coolant ?

Richard G. :

Does the light stay on even when cold ?

Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Richard, the problem occured after installing a winch on the ATV. the wich i connected directly to the battery terminals to operate a snowplow blade. during the course of operating in cold conditions, i thought I could smell burnt/hot wires.nothing visable. the hot light began flashing on instrument panel and RPM needle flashed on the next operating ocassion.the coolant level is good,coolant is present in the overflow canister.Can you direct me as to what componant would be responsible? I dont want to start throwing money at parts that I dont need to fix this problem.

Thanx,

Mark

Lets start with the wiring. Did you splice anything in to the wiring harness ( Example would be switch) ? What is the battery voltage ?

Does the light flash or stay light the whole ride ?

Are the fans coming on ?

How long after you start it does the light come about ?

Edited by Richard G. on 8/4/2010 at 5:08 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Richard, I did not splice any connection. I connected directly to battery posts. battery is 13 volts and i have tested with 3 different batteries. the hot message flashes constantly from the moment the ignition is energized. (even at 20 below zero this winter.

Your thoughts?

Mark

Disconnect the sensor on the cylinder head if you need a diagram for refrence of the switch, Ill try to locate one. Then tell me if the light stays lit with the ignition on.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Richard, Yes is stays on. But when i reconnect the engine sensor, the flashing indicator does not come on right away (about 30 seconds or so)

The wire that I had you unplug is actually a ground wire that completes the circuit of the light. With it disconmnected it should not stay lit. That was the blue/white wire right ? You have a short in the system on the ground somewhere, im gonna do my best to help you. But its very hard not being there with you. Try connecting that wire to ground and give me the results .Do you have a meter to test with ?