....
...., ....
Experience:  ............
4419077

I have a 1987 Suzuki Intruder 700. It has about 16,000 miles

Customer Question

I have a 1987 Suzuki Intruder 700. It has about 16,000 miles on it. I'm having two big problems... the power output is pretty bad. It tops out at about 70 in fifth on the interstate, often backfires when downshifting. It eats gas like crazy, maybe 34/mpg. Also, when I pull the choke up, it doesn't do much other than rev it for a second, then the rpm drops back down.

Any idea what could be wrong with it?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  .... replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Brian :

When was the last complete tune up to include a complete carb service, air cleaner, plugs, valve check?.. is the bike fully stock?

Customer:

The bike is fully stock. I just picked it up used a few weeks ago. Dealership indicated that they did a compression check and it checked out fine. Other than that, I can't be sure. According to the service log that I got with the bike, it looked like it was kept up fairly well. That said, the last service noted was at 12k miles... that was about 7 years ago.

Brian :

I can't believe that shop would sell a bike that was last serviced then, without a recent service. Because of the unknowns, it can only be said right now that you need a complete tune up including a complete carb service, only then, when you know the bike is supposed to run right could you star to diagnose a running issue. Your carbs need cleaned at least once a year. If after a complete tune up you are still having the issues, by all means let me know & we'll diagnose it until it is fixed.

Customer:

Thanks. I'll take it in to get it serviced.

...., ....
Experience: ............
Expert:  .... replied 4 years ago.
I would avoid the seller as a service dept, based on the lack of service of in stock bikes....
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks. There is a suzuki specific shop near my home that I intend to take the bike to for servicing.

Just to clarify, the bike will need full tune up (air cleaner, carb service, valve check, anything else?) ?
Expert:  .... replied 4 years ago.
oil & filter, plugs & maybe plug leads.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Just wanted to let you know:

I took it to a shop. They cleaned and adjusted carbs, replaced air cleaner/filter. Runs like new now.

Thanks again.
Expert:  .... replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the update!