Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

my polaris magnum 330 4x2 is flashing Hot as soon as you start

my polaris magnum 330 4x2 is flashing Hot as soon as you start it up. The bike is an 05 model and to my knowledge it has never overheated. With the exception of a few hours that my adult son has used it I have been the only operator. I did have a fuel filter just about melt away and I guess the engine went into vapor lock causing intermittent running after a few minutes of operation. Lucky the thing didn't catch fire. Anyway after I found this problem and corrected it the tach started flashing hot. also the idle does not seem to be as steady however the display is not showing the rpm since this warning started flashing.
Also the fan kicks on as soon as the bike is started. I do not remember this being the case. I might also mention that it only has 190 hrs of use. Nothing hard. just riding grandkids and pulling a small yard trailer etc. Never been left out in weather or harsh environment.
Is there a reset on the tach or could it be a faulty sensor?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Jeff Policky replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Jeff Policky :

what year is your magnum?

Customer:

Manufactured date 08/04 The title says 2005 ser# XXXXX 32AX 5B40 9186

Jeff Policky :

Yes it is a 2005 I am checking the wire diagram

Jeff Policky :

is the thermister #12 disconnected?

Jeff Policky :

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]140.10282776349615[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]

Jeff Policky :

Full Size Image

Customer:

Jeff I was just thinking, when the fuel problem occurred I did not know what was the problem so after it quit a couple of times I drained the fuel and put in new fuel I did leave it running here at the house to see what it did after a few minutes it did stop running, that is when i discovered the fuel filter melted. I guess while it was running in the driveway it could have overheated however I am not sure.

Customer:

I will go out and check #12 back in a couple of minutes

Jeff Policky :

If it did over heat it may have damaged the therister. if you have a ohm meter we can check it

Customer:

yes # XXXXX is plugged in. If it would have been unplugged the fan would not be running when I start the bike would it?

Customer:

Yes I have an ohm meter

Jeff Policky :

the fan and hot light would be on if it is disconnected.

Customer:

sounds like your on to something

Jeff Policky :

using the black/yellow wires from the thermister disconnect the termister and attach the ohm meter leads one to each wire of the thermister and let me know your ohm reading

Customer:

ok i just got done putting a new battery in my meter back in a couple minutes

Jeff Policky :

ok

Customer:

jeff with the ohm meter set on 200 it shows .5

Customer:

I only have one good hand i i have trouble holding everything i thought about putting a little aluminum foil in the plug to help but was afraid it might alter the reading the meter was jumping al over the place because i was having trouble getting good contact however .5 was always the steady reading.

Customer:

Jeff I stuck some aluminum foil on the contacts and the measurement was the same .5

Jeff Policky :

with the oil temp at 77 deg you should have a rading of 100,000 ohms and go to 1.6000 ohms when the oil is 290 degs. the resistance is way lower than the 290 deg reading the thermister reading about 500 deg from the reading you are giving me. that is not possable. I would start with the thermister but the power control moduel could b bad also.

Customer:

OK i'll get a new thermister ordered asap. I see where polaris recalled some bikes for a faulty ecm i am going to check with them to see if this is one of them.

Jeff Policky :

I looked for the recall on your unit it does not show as one that has a recall. check with you dealer to make sure

Customer:

Thanks Jeff I would guess your right on

Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience: Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP