Richard, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Senior Mechanic & Technician
41497032

Magnum: Polaris..4x4..the pulse coil on the magneto, and the cdi

Customer Question

Working on a 1998 Polaris Magnum 425 4x4. I not getting any spark at the spark plug. I have replaced the main coil the spark plug wire is on, the pulse coil on the magneto, and the cdi. Still no spark. Any ideas. I also found the ground strap that tied the motor to the frame was broke. fixed that and still nothing. The book I have that covers a lot of atvs says there may be a breaker or a fuse but I cannot find one. Only other idea I had was if the stator was bad, unless it all just needs cleaned up real good. I dont know.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Richard G. :

Did you replace the pulse coil meaning new ?

Customer:

Yes. Even after I replaced I realized it probably was not bad because it metered the same resistance as the old one.

Richard G. :

Where did you buy the old one from rick stator or rm stator

Customer:

The old one was on the motor when I got it. I bought it offline. I was looking at the wrong spec when I thought it was bad.

Customer:

Is there a way to test the stator?

Richard G. :

Yes but the firing comes from the pic-up coil. How many and waht color of wires are on the stator not the pulse coil.

Customer:

I am not sure about the number of wires or colors I am not looking atn the atv right now.

Richard G. :

Does this ATV have a pull start ?

Customer:

It does have the option to pull start yes but it has electric start as well.

Customer:

Can u meter the wires coming from the pulse coil as it is turning to determine what is wrong? I am also wondering about the spacing of the pulse coil?

Customer:

u still there

Customer:

I have to get back to work. U can email me and I will get it [email protected]

Richard G. :

Will it fire using the pull start , ground the plug to the cylinder and watch for spark.