Kenny O.
Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands
Experience:  Worked for Kawasaki Motors as a Product Support Specialist (Factory Support) for 24 years
30381042

On the 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1500 Fl, where is the DFI

Customer Question

On the 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1500 Fl, where is the DFI fuse located normally. Mine has been converted to a trike.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Jeff Policky replied 4 years ago.

The fuses are found in the JUNCTION BOX #26021 the junction box is under the seat or the right hand side panel.

If you need more info let me know.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I know where the junction box is located! And the fuses in the junction box have been checked. The DFI fuse is an in-line wired fuse.

The DFI fuse is #16 next to the battery

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Found the main fuse and all the other fuses from a wiring diagram from another website. Still do not have spark, no start. So much for riding on Sunday afternoon!!!

let see if we can find the problem so you can ride Sunday

how is the battery condition?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Battery is in good shape. Tried the ECU diagnostics and they are not functioning at all. The lights are doing crazy things now too. Left turn signal "on" causes the main instrument panel to flash instead of the main signal indicator light. Right turn signal "on" flashs on the main signal indicator light. This also has a Dynojet Power Commander which I assume overrides the ECU.

what is the battery voltage readings? the power commander does not over ride the ECM it will just increase fuel injector pulse (injector open time).

I have seen many Power commanders cause all kinds of running issues. I would disconnect the power commander to see if their is any improvement

let me know what happens

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry, but I just found out from the dealer that he has seen this in a Honda Goldwing and there is a ground wire in contact with the frame. Now the search is on. Tomorrow we remove the gas tank and start with the wiring at the lighting, instrument panel and ignition.

another exper here Kenny he is a kawsaki tech line expert also. he recomened me to find out about the ignition switch, "cross over" what does he mean, and did the wires actully short out, and if so, which ones,

Also MAKE sure the small ground wire off the negative (-) side post at the battery is plugged into the harness, lots of time the big ground is hooked up, but that small one gets unplugged and things start to try grounding to various components.

Edited by Jeff Policky on 7/31/2010 at 9:54 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I bought the trike June 19. It is completely chromed out including a drag specialties ignition switch that has been moved to where the coverplate (left side motor) should be. The "crossover" was the wire insulation missing from the end of all wires to the ignition. We put heat/shrink to them to fix the problem. Will check the small ground off the negative post though. Definely! Before removing tank.

PS I have only been able to ride one time since I got it and that is when the ignition switch went crazy! The hubbie has so many things going on right now, we didn't plan on working on it right away!

I will see if Kenny can help you as he may be able to get you going sooner

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

That would be great! As I said, have only ridden once. Starter clutch limiter went out in it and had to wait 4 weeks for the part. Some said I should take it back but it is a KICK-BUTT trike! I was told that it is the first Nomad conversion by Hannigan. I want to RIDE!!!

Thanks!

Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 years ago.

Hello my name is Kenny

We need to work fast on this as I have to leave later this afternoon, if you want this running by tomorrow, so as soon as you can get back to me the better.

I need a summery of all thats going on, it appears that the unit is turning over, but no spark, am I right there ?

I am more concerned about the switch, did wires short ? if so I need to KNOW exactly what you did on the repair, how many miles on this thing ?

I'll be upfront with you, this question is a little under priced

Let me know ASAP

Thanks

Kenny

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ignition switch wiring melted and switch would NOT shut anything off. At home, used kill switch, which shut the motor off but not the power to the instrument panel, etc. Hubbie removed wiring from switch and used solder and shrink tube then reattached wiring to ignition. It started up at that time. We shut her down to get ready to ride again and she would not start. Starter and motor turns over but no spark and the fuel pump does NOT kick in when the ignition switch is on. The left turn signal when on, caused the entire instrument panel to blink instead of just the indicator light. The right signal light operated correctly. We then assumed that there may be other wires "crossed over" and followed the harness. We found that the black/yellow grond wire was wired incorrectly to the headlight and it has been repaired.

Just came from the Kaw shop and checked their manual and spoke with one of their mechanics. We thought it may be the Vehicle down sensor because according to the manual it is the only thing listed that would cause a shut down of the fuel pump and ignition. The other thing we are now checking is the fuel relay. Am I correct in assuming that if the ground wire is wired directly into the white positive power it could fry whatever is in it's path? The only other thing I can think of would be the ECU or the Dynojet Power Commander.

Hubbie drove her from the east side of Atlanta to Alabama the day we bought her and did not have any problems. Day 2 after purchase the starter clutch limiter went out and we waited 4 weeks for the replacement part.

Sorry to get back to you so late....spent most of today at the Kaw shop.

Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 years ago.

Someome needs to go to a Radio Shack or an electronics store and purchase a couple of 1/4 watt 100 ohm resistors, if you are going to get this bike running for tomorrow, also if he doesn't have a multi-meter then he needs to purchase one of them also.

I have to run out for a bit, but I'll check back, if you don't get that that resistor you'll likely not get this running, forget everything else that everyone at the dealer said for right now, trust us experts on here, Jeff and I have MANY years of experience !

Thanks

Kenny

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

By hooking a pigtail "alligator clip on both ends of a wire" to the frame on one end and a test light to the other and checking the ground wire to the fuel pump...the pump does turn on. In other words the ground wires are not grounded. We also found what I think is a resistor 2.0 at the end of a connector located under the gas tank.

PS Hubbie is a school trained mechanic auto and motorcycle but has not worked in it for years and years. Bikes have definitely changed since then.

Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 years ago.

You guys need to stop right now on your diagnosis, I'm not concerned about any grounds right now, that is NOT your problem.

Did you get the 1/4 watt resistor that I asked you to get ?

Thanks

Kenny

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No...every would have been closed by the time we got there...so the answer is no. What are we going to use the resistors for anyway? Are these resistors small tube shaped things with color coding around the middle with a silver wire out of both ends?
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 years ago.

Yes those are resistors, you are going to use them for the ignition switch, if you decide to pick some up let me know and then I can help you get you bike running.

Thanks

Kenny

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Won't be back until after 2pm. Radio Shack is about an hour away and doesn't open until 12pm

Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 years ago.

I'll be around for most of the day, let me know when you are ready.

Thanks

Kenny

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Got 5 resistors, multimeter, and new soldering gun and am ready when you are!
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 years ago.

OK I would really like to know exactly what the ignition switch looks like, if I could get a pictures (wires coming out of the back of it and the connection where it meets the wiring harness that would be AWESOME) if not then I need to know the color of all the wires out of the switch and how many.

You said earlier that this is a "drag Specialty" switch, its likely made by someone else, Drag Specialty is just a distributor.

Kenny

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Switch is chrome with what looks like a vertical bar approx 1 inch wide. Top of the bar flips open to reveal a round key (like on a coke machine) slot underneath. There are three prongs for wire connections to the back side. The original wiring was on the bike to the new ignition switch....Pattern Blue and Red soldered together dead end....white to the center prong on switch....brown and gray connected together to the left prong (closest to the back of the bike)
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 years ago.

OK, I assuming that wires coming out of the switch have something covering all the wires, correct ?

If so I need you to remove all the covering and on the gray wire I want you to look for a resistor in that gray wire ?

Let me know if you find one ?

Thanks

Kenny

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No resistor on the gray wire. Just to let you know ...this is the original wiring from the connector under the gas tank. the connector to the ignition switch was removed and additional wire was spliced to relocate the ignition switch.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

For some reason, your replies are not coming through the way they should

Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 years ago.

OK, not sure on the reply issue, that most be something with the site ?

So here is what I want you to do, check from the harness connection (where the ignition switch plugs into) all the way to the ignition to see if you see any resistor, then do you know where the ECU is located ? if so then you'll see a BIG plug into that, find the gray wire and look there to see if you see if anyone soldered in a resistor ?

Thanks

Kenny

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No resistor anywhere near or on the wires to the ignition or the ECU
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
<p>So you think a resistor soldered into the gray wire at the ignition and /or the ECU will fix the problem? Or are we trying to prevent more problems at this point?</p><p>Hubbie soldered a resistor to the gray wire at the ignition switch.  And we have lift off!!!</p><p>The LED FI indicator has been hooked up to pull the codes from the ECU, i.e.ECU terminal number 37 to the battery (-) terminal and the light blinks twice after setting the mode to odometer and holding the reset button for 2 seconds.  </p><p>The FI indicator shows a code of 11.  Throttle sensor malfunction, wiring open or short.</p><p> </p>
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 years ago.

OK then likely the switch has one in it (wow I didn't think they were doing that) oh well. So what happened is when that switch shorted it took out the resistor that was in the aftermarket switch, by having you get the resistors I was just going to run a by-pass, I'm glad you checked that gray wire and found nothing, thats good.

OK so it looks like maybe you replied, and he DID put that resistor in and now the bike has started ? Good !

Does this thing have a power commander ? code 11 is your TPS switch, this is likely caused from the power commander or a bad connection, try removing it and or making sure your connections are good and you should be set.

If you have any more questions, please reply and I'll be glad to answer them.

Thanks

Kenny

Experience: Worked for Kawasaki Motors as a Product Support Specialist (Factory Support) for 24 years
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Does have a power commander and the connection was NOT solid. It is now though! My hubbie says to tell you Thank You...he figured out the rest late yesterday. AND the manual came in the mail today for the bike. We're all set to ride!!!

Just another note....I increased the fee I was willing to pay to $35....there is still a balance of 15 in the account.....you should get both!!!!!

Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 years ago.

Awesome Thanks to both of you guys for your generosity !

If you need anything in the future, you can ask for me I'll be glad to help you guys out !

Thanks again, it was a pleasure working with you both

Kenny