Richard, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Senior Mechanic & Technician
41497032

96 polaris Trail Boss...neutral-reverse..hard time shifting into gear.

I have a 96 Polaris Trail Boss. The Transmission is forward-neutral-reverse. I was having a hard time shifting into gear. Now it's basically stuck in reverse. Anything I can do as an amateur mechanic?

Good day and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to help you with your problem today.

When did this problem occur ?

Has there been any hard down shifting at high RPMS ?

Has it been sitting awhile ?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I've only had it for a couple of months so I really dont know how long its been sitting. I understand that it was driven ocassionally. I have gotten it to go into forward a couple of times. I personally have not shifted down at high rpms. I realize this doesn't help much.
Will the gear shifter move to forward ?

Will the gear shifer move to neutral ?

How does it perform in reverse ?

If the gear lever foes into forward, what happens ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The shifter acts like it is stuck. In reverse it runs great and the few times I've got it into forward it runs great there too. it just recently got worse. it will crank in reverse for some reason but it wont go to neutral. the shifter itself will barely move either direction.
Are you pressing the brake at time of the shift ?e

Have you trieed manually removing the gear shift linkages and moving the levers ?

Are any of the shift linkages bent ?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I haven't tried pressing the brake but I will this weekend when I get home, probably Sunday afternoon. I haven't found anything bent and I haven't removed anything. I would love for it to be as simple as pressing the brake.
The brake does have to be pressed. Let me know what happens. Its just a simple mistake not pressing the brake. It happens all the time. LOL

If I answered your question please press accept.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I will try pressing the brake when I get home this evening. The front brakes work but back brakes don't. I will be repairing them also. To change gears, does it matter if I press the front or rear?
Depress both of them just to be on the safe side, Although it is usually the rear. The brake pads dont even have to be good for it to work.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If I need further information after I accept, how will I get back in touch with you?
In your question just request me. Hey Richard thats all
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX got to try it yet but I bet it will work .
Let me know the results