Richard, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Senior Mechanic & Technician
41497032

1998 Suzuki: 4WD Quad Runner..idle speed...it starts ok

I just replaced the throttle cable on my 1998 Suzuki 4WD Quad Runner. Now, I am unable to adjust the idle speed...it starts ok, but runs a very high rpm. I have adjusted the throttle cable as far as I can. The idle screw doesn't seem to make any difference. The choke cable appears to be okay, but i tried adjusting it too...again with no results. What am I doing wrong? Mike
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
Do you have the vin number and size engine?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi...the vin is J5AAJ50A6X2102676 I thought the engine size was 250 cc; however, i noticed that 3500ml is stamped on the side of the engine. Mike
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Also, I belive it is a 1998/ Thanks again.

Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
Can you verify this vin please its not coming up.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Rechecked the vin on the left side of frame and it's the same one i sent you earlier. mike
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
I found the vin the one you gave was incorrect. OK Can you take the throttle cable loose from the carburetor and start it up ? Then get back with me. As I need to know if its on the carb side or cable side.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hmmmmmmmmm... The throttle cable is connected inside the carb. do i need to pull the carb again, remove the cable, reinstall the carb and then restart it? is there an easier way to do this? mike
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
Mike, first is there any free play in the throttle even the slightest if so how much ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No free play that i can detect. I have it adjusted to the lowest rpm possible at the handlebar. no adjustment possible at the carb end, is there? I believe i have the ca ble installed correctly, because i can still rev the engine from the throttle control on the handlebar. it's just that the idle speed is waaaaay too high. mike
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
There is an adjustment on the carb. Where you took the plate off to install the throttle cable there is a adjustment cable on the bottom there that is about 6 inches long turn it counter clockwise. here in the picture it is number 28 copy and paste this link. If you get it running please press accept.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have tried turning the idle adjustment screw in both directions to no avail. There is very little change in the rpm either way. mike
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
I really need the cable took loose from the carb. But when you get to that point let me know I need know something while your right there.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK. I'll try this. I probably won't get back to you until tomorrow. As you know, getting the darn carb away from the engine is kinda time-consuming. Thanks so much so far. You are very patient. To confirm. I will remove carb, disconnect throttle cable. and then contact you again. OK?
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
Yes please do i wanna know the outcome. But here are some other choices. I bet you got that line pinched will it move freely the cable housing not the cable? grab the housing at the carb and the hadle bar see if it pulls in eiter direction. If it does remove the throttle from the throttle houising on handle bar.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Aw geez...I did remove the cable from the housing on the handlebar and was able to move it to the point that the rpm dropped to where it should be, and the idle adjustment screw worked!!!! BUT...when i hook it back to the housing, the rpm soars again. I think you are right. Either I have a pinch in the cable somewhere or (i hope not) I have a cable which isn't the right length. Sooo, off come the front fenders (again) and I try to locate the pinch and maybe re-route the cable. If not, measure it and start looking on-line for another cable...Do you guys carry things like that? Either way, thanks so much. You have been great! Please give me your name to include in my feedback. Cheers! Mike
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im glad I could assist you. Look online for one. Yes I do but I cant give you my contact information.

Anymore questions ask. otherwise click " ACCEPT"

Richard, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience: Senior Mechanic & Technician