Richard, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Senior Mechanic & Technician
41497032

I own a TRX350FE fourtrax 350 4x4 ES. The gear shift switches

Customer Question

I own a TRX350FE fourtrax 350 4x4 ES.

The gear shift switches are not working and the gear indicator is blinking. When in
neutral it blinks 3 times then pauses the blinks another 3 times. Please help me fix
this problem. Thank you!
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
Im getting the manual out and will assist you in this.
Richard, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience: Senior Mechanic & Technician
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I did not recieve any answer other than "I'm getting the manual out and will assist you

in this."

Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

That will be trouble code 3 which is angle sensor system. You will need an ohms meter to test let me know when you are ready.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't own an ohms meter. What else can we do?
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

You will need an ohms meter for testing. The only other thing to try is to disconnect the battery and ecu connector for 5 minutes and reconnect to see if the problem persist. Then try this if it persist ignition switch to off, transmission inneutral,set parking brake, Hold in both shift buttons at the same time, turn the ignition switch on release the shift buttons before the N appers on dash, then push both buttons again for 3 more seconds then release. Note the blinks. steps to delete code: while the codes are flashing hold both shift buttons in at the same time. More than likely the angle sensor is bad but you can try these steps first. Then let me know what happens.

If I answered your question correctly please press acceptt so the case will be closed.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What is the ecu connector?

Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

Have a look at part 11 on this diagram this is the ecu unplug this connector. It is located right side rear fender sitting on the bike. Right behind the frame should have to remove anything if you need additional pictures please let me know. Its about 6- 8 inches long or so.

http://cdn.cheapcycleparts.com/images/HO/14HN42E1/HN4AF2901.png

If you need additional help im here. If ive answered your question please press acceptt.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I unpluged the ecu and diconnected the battery for 5 minutes-no change.

I did the button pushing thing and now the N blinks 3 times fast then 3 times fast

then 1 time showly and then repeats that over and over.

Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
If you get 1 blink then pause then 3 blinks you have a code of 1 which is ecu unplug ecu install anither one. Code 3 is angle sensor system you are going to need an ohms meter should be able to purchase one at the parts store. If you have anymore question let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Do you mean that I should puchase and install a new ecu? But when that is compele

I still have another problem with something else, which can be figured out with an

ohms meter.

Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
No, please do not purchase anything without testing with ohms meter first( a digital fluke is best) but they are very expensive. You can be a home use one, pretty cheap at the parts store. Or if you dont feel comfortable with the repair.A dealer would probably charge you 1-2 ours to diagnose. And probably additional .30 min to replace ecu or angle sensor. Thats what we charge, but I cant speak for other shops. I can guide you through it. But you need to know how to se ohmsmeter and voltage reader first. Lket me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry that I took so long, but I now have an ohmsmeter and am ready to procede.
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

Tech will be back on in 2hours

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm ready to procede with ohmsmeter in hand.
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
im reading over what we have been through
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

Test the battery voltage.

Repeat the test I gave you from before and count the codes again just to confirm codes please.